Author Topic: Change of Heart Horn  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Change of Heart Horn
« on: November 04, 2009, 08:27:50 PM »
This horn was inspired by one I saw on Antiques Road Show. The orignal was a Crownpoint horn dated 1759.  It was very similar to the Crownpoint horns in the Dresslar book.  It had one very unique feature though.  On the bottom curve was the saying "Success to British Arms" but the British part was scraped out completley.  So this veteran of the French and Indian War was now a patriot and adjusted his horn accordingly, or it could have been an ancestor.  I just fell in love with the idea and had to do it.  My version is a little different in that I did not completely scrape the British part out, I made hatch marks through it.  I thought it looked better.  I also included images seen on other Crownpoint horns from the period since the TV never showed the entire horn.  Anyway here it is, first horn I have been able to turn out in about three months so that was fun to.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:20:43 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Change of Heart Horn
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:53:11 PM »
Nicely done CoreyJoe.  I like the idea of 'now a patriot' theme.  Great job.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

seesbirds

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:49:59 AM »
Nicely done.  I like the engrailing on the raised ring.  that's a nice piece of work

Congrats,

Mark

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:11:37 AM »
Some time back Curt J. posted pictures of an F&I period horn that had the entire English Royal Coat of Arms scrimshawed on it.  Most of the English coat of arms had been cross hatched out. The horn carried the names of two different owners and is apparently a horn that was carried during the F&I War and the American War for Independence.  Some of us were able to see and handle this horn at Curt's gun show.

There are a few of these two owner different loyalty horns around.  I have a large F&I style lip horn that is almost finished except for the scrimshaw that will someday have a Complete English Royal Coat of Arms cross hatched out to indicate a change of loyalty.  It will also carry the names and dates for two different owners

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Jefferson58

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »
CoryJoe, that is a really nice-looking horn. I agree with Mark. I really like the engrailing you did on the strap ring. I have seen a photo of an original done like that and thought it looked really good.

Nice job!

Jeff

Offline gusd

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
Great  job. love the color!
Gus

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
 Good looking horn, Nice job.

Tim C.

IanMor

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »
It is beautiful, I love it. I really appreciate the "personal touch" that you put on that horn by the notation of a change of allegiance. To me it makes it much more "real". I really respect that attention to detail.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 03:41:50 AM »
Thanks everyone. 

Coryjoe

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:43:26 AM »
Randy, I have seen a Tansel federal perido horn with a coat of arms that did not include the lion which had been attriuted to celebrating the retreat of British forces from North America.

Coryjoe

Some time back Curt J. posted pictures of an F&I period horn that had the entire English Royal Coat of Arms scrimshawed on it.  Most of the English coat of arms had been cross hatched out. The horn carried the names of two different owners and is apparently a horn that was carried during the F&I War and the American War for Independence.  Some of us were able to see and handle this horn at Curt's gun show.

There are a few of these two owner different loyalty horns around.  I have a large F&I style lip horn that is almost finished except for the scrimshaw that will someday have a Complete English Royal Coat of Arms cross hatched out to indicate a change of loyalty.  It will also carry the names and dates for two different owners

Randy Hedden