Author Topic: Question regarding ordering custom barrels-  (Read 5259 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Question regarding ordering custom barrels-
« on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:48 AM »
I get the impression when ordering a custom made barrel, delivery times are very uncertain and can often take over a year. When ordering a barrel, do you usally pay  down payment on the order? If so, whats the usual amount?

Best regards

Rolfkt

keweenaw

Re: Question regarding ordering custom barrels-
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:01 AM »
Rolfkt,

Ed Rayl typically takes about 4-6 months on custom orders that aren't too strange.   It may be faster with pistol barrels.  On U.S. orders Ed typically doesn't charge a deposit, I guess he figures if you don't want it someone else will. When he has the barrels done he sends along a bill, when he get the money he sends along the barrel. I don't know what his policy is on international orders.   He's great to deal with and well worth giving a call to get what you want and he probably has a barrel profile already that is close to what you want.

Tom

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:31:24 AM »
 Try posting what you are looking for, someone may have one they are willing to part with and it will cut down on the wait time. Although shipping may be a problem, don't know.

Tim C,

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:18:56 AM »
Make sure you need a custom barrel first.  There are a lot of nice off-the-shelf barrels out there.  I only "need" a custom barrel when the gun I have planned is unusual.  Like a Hudson Valley fowler with a 54" barrel, or maybe a special octagon to round barrel to closely replicate an original smooth rifle, etc.

Next, don't take one person's recommendation that Maker "1" normally delivers within 3-6 months.  I have waited over a year from nearly all the makers that have been mentioned.  Sometimes more; a lot more.  Sure, a customer may place an order when the guy is set up for something like that and doesn't have a backlog, and get a barrel in 3 months.  Next time, could be 18 months.  Not kidding; not complaining either.

Some makers want a 50% deposit or so to start on a barrel, and when they do, it's a good sign you may get your barrel within 6 months.  If they are not asking for money, then they probably have a big backlog and know they won't be able to fill your order "soon".

The only way to "fix" this is for prices to go up 20% or so.  Demand would go down and delivery times would, too.  I can wait.  There are a lot of fine off the shelf barrels out there to keep me busy building while waiting for a custom one to come in.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Rolf

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I 'd to like build a target flintlock pistol with a 15" long, slim, swamped, octagonal, 0.40caliber barrel, double set triggers, iron fittings and a cast pewter nose cap. Will probably use a small siler lock (I wish they came lefthanded). Hope to start next year, after I 've finished the pair of pistols I'm working on now.

No such barrel on the market. Ed Rayl seems the best option. I'll try to contact him.

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:07:31 PM by Rolfkt »

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »
First let me say Ed Is a good person But make sure he has all of your info somewhere he will not lose it. Many years ago I order one from him and knowing how long it take him to get one done didn't bother him for over a year. Called him and he said it was going to be done soon. Called 6 months letter asking about it. He had sold it.  He was mad at me. For not calling about it sooner. An here I thought I would get a note or barrel with a bill that it was done.
May be it was just my bad luck with him. I know friends get barrels from him all of the time with no problem.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »
Hey Rolfkt, if a 13" swamped barrel in 45, 50, or 54 caliber would work for you I have some of Ed's on the shelf right now.  I order larger quantities from him and my wait time is usually 8 months or so.  I did hear this past weekend though that he is back down to a one man show so I expect his wait time to go up again.  Have patience folks, they are good when you get them!   :)
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Madcaster

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »
 I ordered one about 4 years back from a guy,when I got it I looked down the top flat,it took a weird curve to the left about 1/3 of the way out.
 So all I can say is to take a minute and look down all the barrel profiles,make sure they are correct.
 I sent this one back,never even got an apology from the barrelmaker.I know everyone makes mistakes,but an apology would show me that he realized a mistake and would be on the lookoutr top makle sure it did not happen again.

Offline Rolf

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
Thanks for your offer Barbie, but they are not quite what I'm looking for.
The barrel I'd like is 15" long, 13/16" at breech, tapers down to 10/16 about 10"- 12" from the breech and flares out to 12/16" at the muzzel.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
Yep, I am 1/8" to big for you - oh well!
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline SR James

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »
I spoke with Ed last week and he is indeed down to a one man operation.  He's had my barrel for reboring since early March and it's
supposed to be done this week.  And he had misplaced my paperwork, so it was a good thing I called about it.  None of this should be read as a complaint.  He's a good guy and I know the barrel will be done right when it comes in.