Author Topic: How Deep Can I Go  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
How Deep Can I Go
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:36:09 AM »
Need some advice. Got a 13/16 Rayl .32 cal pistol barrel. Need to drill and tap two holes 10-32
about two inches apart to hold the barrel onto the stock. How deep can I make the holes? The
bore dia. is .320  and the groove dia. is .340.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: How Deep Can I Go
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:30:14 AM »
Phil, you can safely drill 1/8" into the barrel, assuming the bore is in the middle of the tube.  Here's how it works...13/16" is .8125".  The groove diameter is .340" so subtract it from the major dimension = .4725".  that makes 1/2 of that all around the bore, or .4725 divided by 2 = a wall thickness of .23625".  If you sink the drill 1/8" into the barrel, you'll have .236 - .125 = .111 or a little over a tenth of an inch of steel.  But measure the barrel across the flats to be sure you have an even 13/16" to deal with.  If less, take that into consideration.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »
In order to get as many threads as possible, you can cut flat bottomed holes.  Drill the holes to the desired depth with a standard drill and finish up with a flat bottomed drill.  You can make a flat bottomed drill by carefully regrinding a standard drill.  Start to thread the holes with a tap that has a bit of lead to it.  Finish it up with a bottoming tap.  I use a standard tap that I just cut back for a full bottoming tap.  This is how I've done lock plates with blind holes and it has worked pretty well.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:30:06 AM »
You can also dovetail a boss onto the bottom of the barrel, and run your threads into that.

Make a tall wide boss so you can run the loading rod thru it, and the section of boss above the rod can be tapped and threaded for the holding screw.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.