Author Topic: Early Powder Horn Attachment Method?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Jennison

• Starting Member
Early Powder Horn Attachment Method?
« on: October 13, 2022, 04:51:14 PM »
Hi, I've noticed a small number of early horns (c 1750) having holes bored through the sides at the base down through the wood base plug.  I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this as perhaps a method of strap-attachment (as opposed to a lobed horn) and if so, whether you have examples to show.  I've drawn crude (sorry) pictures of what I think strap attachment might have looked like and also include a photo of an original.  I just haven't haven't had the pleasure of seeing enough horns to know if this was a practice.

Many thanks, Jennison

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 06:20:27 PM by Jennison »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Early Powder Horn Attachment Method?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 06:13:35 PM »
I’ve seen it. I thought one of my horns had this feature but I must have traded it. I wonder if some kind of wire loop was used here.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »
You see in in a very small percentage of early NE horns, for example. Most horns had a pierced lobe or other attachment device. Drawer pulls, nob and loop can be found. Good observation Jennison and thank you for drawing out attention to this. Should get some more comments here on the subject.
Dick

Offline Jennison

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 09:38:10 PM »
More examples:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:58:50 PM by Jennison »

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 10:54:13 PM »
Scott Sibley's book on Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn has a picture of a replica of an original horn.  The replica shows both carving on the horn, scrimshaw and the plug angle drilled for the strap.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 11:29:25 PM »
 I've seen them done like that, not many, maybe as a repair when the lobes or finial have been broken off or the staple has broken or come out. Also, instead of a loop the strap can be split then the two ends are pushed through and knots tied in each.

Tim
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:21:54 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
I have seen holes drilled that on several old horns, but these had simple wire loops as Rich says. 
Tim A
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Jennison

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 06:28:19 PM »
In the book "American Powder Horns" by Stephen V. Grancsay (1965), there is a chapter on New England horns.  Reference is made to a 1753 horn in which "one end of the
shoulder cord passed through two holes in the plug and two corresponding holes near the edge of the horn."  In the same chapter, reference is made to a 1764 horn where "two holes at the base of the horn and two corresponding transverse holes in the base plug indicate where the [cord] was secured."

Jennison

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 06:37:49 PM by Jennison »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »
In the book "American Powder Horns" by Stephen V. Grancsay (1965), there is a chapter on New England horns.  Reference is made to a 1753 horn in which "one end of the
shoulder cord passed through two holes in the plug and two corresponding holes near the edge of the horn."  In the same chapter, reference is made to a 1764 horn where "two holes at the base of the horn and two corresponding transverse holes in the base plug indicate where the [cord] was secured."

Jennison
Also in The Engraved Powder Horn by Dressler there are quite a few like this.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 05:04:25 PM »
Here are a couple of horns from two different parts of the US that the maker or owner couldn’t decide which method to attach strap. The large horn was found with a Eastern Fowler, it has the holes through horn and buttplug, and staple above holes on horn and staple on plug.
Second horn was a horn belonging to the Leblanc family from French Settlement, La. It has the holes in horn and plug, but has a single iron ring in one hole and the evidence of a nail hole for attachment on plug. These fellows covered all bases.
The antler plug on the smaller horn was on the horn when found, the leather holding it on is new.
Bob

dice roll simulator

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:13:23 PM by Rajin cajun »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline JBJ

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
The horn with two staples shown by Cajun - the one staple in the end plug may be a later addition. To me it has the appearance of being a Romex staple. I'm sure that old horn could tell some tales!

J.B.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 02:31:56 PM »
Good stuff here, thanks for starting this topic. Great examples of some wonderful old horns!

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
JBJ, my thoughts as well. Appears to be an electric wire staple. Could be pre romex but still a manufactured staple.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 11:30:03 PM »
I do not have any images but I have used this method on several horns.  You are right, it does seem to be an earlier horn feature.  For smaller horns I have done one hole and it worked fine to.

Cory Joe

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 10:33:48 PM »
I ran across these pictures today. This horn was owned by a Rev. war soldier and dated 177-- . The rest of the date is gone to time.

JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 10:36:57 PM »

JIM

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 07:52:43 PM »
I started a thread on one like this down the page here.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=74400.0

In my case, the wire had been fed through the horn , out through the base plug, and wrapped around a nail which was then driven in flush binding the wires tight.