Author Topic: Powder Measure on Horn Strap?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Powder Measure on Horn Strap?
« on: October 16, 2022, 06:14:40 PM »
So I have a Lemuel Lyman style belt pouch I plan to use with my Type G Carolina trade gun for a French & Indian War impression. My next step will be to get an appropriate powder horn, which I’m leaning towards a large very simple horn with flat base plug and utilizing a simple 3/8” leather carrying strap. From my research, this seems to be PC.

I generally attach my powder measures to the strap of my shot pouch, yet considering my Lyman pouch attaches to one’s belt and has no strap (as per the original) this seems less feasible.

My question is: for a mid-18th C. impression, would it be historically acceptable to attach a powder measure via a leather thong hanging from the the strap of one’s powder horn? I’ve uncovered several photos of antique horns with such setups, but I’m not sure if any of these horns (much less their straps) would date to my period of interest. Here they are:

It seems to me a not unreasonable solution of carrying a powder measure when one’s shot pouch lacks a carrying strap. Do you think that during the mid-18th century this could have been done by someone? I’m not going for any particular persona, but want all my accouterments to be accurate for the time period.

Thank you!

Dillon

Offline RAT

Re: Powder Measure on Horn Strap?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 07:19:18 PM »
Without digging through my references to give you specific examples... my poor memory tells me I've seen paintings that show this. I've also seen modern photos of measures attached to horns, but who knows when they were attached. It could have been well after their period of use.

If you're looking for 100% authenticity, I fear you'll never really get there. Relying on what you hear from other reenactors can lead you astray. Assuming how they look and act today, is actually the way it was like in the past, is an illusion. Whenever possible, seek out original source material. If you're attending a juried or educational event you only need to meet the expectations of those in control of the event.

Also remember... have fun! This is really just another version of costume play (cosplay). In fact... it's probably one of the very first versions of cosplay. People have dressed up to enact the deeds of their forefathers since the beginning of civilization.
Bob

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 11:39:03 PM »
I'd say you are good to go as planned.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 01:40:58 AM »
I think many measures found tied to the powder horn strap were put together when the old/worn/tattered hunting bag was discarded and the horn & measure kept as mementos... tied together so the smaller item wouldn't get lost. A powder measure would be a lot safer attached to the bag's strap, as opposed to the horn's strap where it could get caught, banged around, or possibly pulled loose when the horn was being used. The original, "unmolested" bag & horn sets that I have all have the measure hanging off the bag strap, not the horn strap. Of course, there is always an exception out there.

Shelby Gallien

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:20:18 PM »
I personally prefer to have the measure on the horn strap. That way I can have a bag for each gun and use the same horn for both. But the measure I use is adjustable.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 10:03:46 AM »
I'm probably wrong but won't you need a pretty long cord to get from a belt pouch to the lip of your gun when loading.
That ought to dangle in the dirt. Not literally but you get my point.
Tim A
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com