Author Topic: early rifle  (Read 2951 times)

Offline tom patton

early rifle
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:07:46 PM »
I wonder how many of the board members here attended the recent show in Virginia where Earl brought in his newest acquisition. This gun is shown as Kindig #10 and Shumway RCA #84. It is a very fine and very early rifle. I had long sought a good pre Revolutionary War rifle and had a  coveted / want list for many years.As one might suspect it was  a short list and this gun was in the top three.I saw the gun right after Earl got it and again as it appears today.I did get one of the rifles on my short list and I am very happy with it I couldn't attend the show and was just curious as to what those who did thought about this gun.
Tom Patton

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: early rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:45:28 PM »
Tom, I confess that I think both you and Earl came up with very desirable guns! Congratulations to both of you.  It is a good thing for the fraternity when a serious Longrifle student (like you and like Earl) is the custodian of an important piece.  We all benefit from that.  I thank you and I thank Earl for bringing your great guns out for the rest of us to enjoy. Both you and Earl have contributed to my knowledge over the years.
Wayne
Wayne Elliott

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:19:18 AM »
Tom  I appreciate the opportunity to handle the I was Free born rifle at Lake Cumberland earlier this year, and Earl's invitation to his home to sit and talk (which I still need to do :-) ).  I have found both of you more than approachable, something I very much appreciate.

Broke

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
Tom,

Great rifle! I saw it both days. On Saturday I was looking at it with Earl and Ed Rayl and naturally they were discussing the 'fast' twist of the rifling in the barrel. Earl was explaining the repairs done on the rifle by Frank House. Didn't get a chance to hold it which is probably a good thing because I would have drooled on it.  ;D

Michael