Author Topic: Getz barrel value?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Getz barrel value?
« on: October 21, 2022, 07:43:57 PM »
So, I just picked up a Getz barrel with some other parts in an auction. It looks like a 44" C weight swamped .54 rifle barrel. Any idea what these are worth these days? Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Getz barrel value?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:47:47 PM »
Same as Rice in my view.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:23 PM »
So, I just picked up a Getz barrel with some other parts in an auction. It looks like a 44" C weight swamped .54 rifle barrel. Any idea what these are worth these days? Thanks

How many pounds are in the letter "C".???
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:33 PM »
How honest of a reply do you want?  Depends upon who was running the company when it was made.

Personally, if it's an older Getz barrel made when Don was still living, or for a little while thereafter, I'd value it at whatever the current equivalent of a Rice barrel is worth for a standard profile.  Rice barrels are pretty much as good as it gets and they're as good as any Getz barrel, period.  If it's a custom barrel, I'd value it at whatever Bob Hoyt or Ed Rayl or FCI would charge.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:56 PM »
oops Rich beat me to it.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 04:50:02 PM »
I've preferred working with barrels built by Don Getz but have never paid premium prices for one. I like the way his barrels respond to file or chisel.
In my opinion easier and smoother than Colraine or Rice when forming dovetails or draw filing.
They all shoot better than me.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »

It's really easy to pay too much in an auction by the time you figure all the add-in costs that they charge. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it but your barrel is probably worth what any other similar new condition barrel is worth. Of course you'll have to factor in all the other stuff you got in the auction that went with the barrel and also consider the entertainment of participating in an auction.

$250 to $300
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
I wouldn’t pay to much for any barrel in an auction. I don’t want to spend 100 hrs working on a dud!!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 07:46:03 PM »
Like anything else,it's a negotiation between a willing seller and a willing buyer.

Bob Roller

Offline alacran

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 10:54:57 AM »
Well, are you planning to sell it? If you got a good deal on it, build a gun around it.
IMHO Getz barrels were no better than a Douglass, H&H, Bill Large, or other contemporary barrel makers. I would not pay a premium price for a Getz barrel when I can get one from Rice, Ed Rayl, or Bobby Hoyt.
I recently built a .40 rifle with a Getz barrel because I paid about $100 less than I would have paid from the above-mentioned barrel makers.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 05:01:52 PM »
  Like everything it's supply and demand. What it is going to cost to replace what you have ?  Doesn't matter what the seller paid for it ? It all boils down to how bad you want it and what your willing to pay for it.
 Locks and barrels 15 - 20 years ago were cheap compared to today's market. But none the less they were made just as good in my opinion.

Oldtravler

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 05:22:06 AM »
All,
Can anyone tell me, since Getz barrels, have a serial number on them, does anyone know the private  serial number range of Getz barrels used on barrels up until Don’s passing. Got a couple and would like to know if they were most likely built by Don or John.
elkhorne

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 12:52:08 PM »
At one time Getz barrels were the barrel to have, especially when Mr Don was alive. I have used several of his barrels down through the years and I was very happy with the quality and how they shot. Mr. Don’s barrels should bring as good a price as any barrel being sold by the other barrel makers today. I have two of Mr. Don’s barrels left and these are in stock blanks waiting for me to go to work.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 04:07:38 PM »

Elkhorne, According to Mitch Yates (Tallbear on this site) any Getz barrel with a serial number prior to 19696 would have been made by Don.
Bill

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 04:14:11 PM »
be aware there are post Don Getz barrels without numbers on them

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 04:59:51 PM »
Elkhorne, According to Mitch Yates (Tallbear on this site) any Getz barrel with a serial number prior to 19696 would have been made by Don.

Please be aware the number 19696 simply denotes when John took over the barrel company from Don.It certainly does'nt denote a decrease in quality after that number.John was an excellent barrel maker maybe even better than Don.Much of Getz's excellent reputation particularly with custom profiles was during John's time of ownership.Don was certainly a better businessman.Even though John owned the shop ,Don was there every day until his death.It was only towards the end when John's health issues and his use of unmaintained equipment that quality really suffered.I would not hesitate to use a barrel from most of John's ownership ........

Mitch Yates

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 05:10:08 PM »
I agree with Mitch. I’ve had excellent barrels from John Getz. Rifled barrel quality is pretty simple I think (I could be wrong).

Is the bore consistent and will it load with consistent pressure without cutting patches? Is there a decent ratio of land width to groove width (not wide lands and narrow grooves)?  Is the rifling depth around 0.008” to 0.012”?  Is the twist consistent with your intended use? Is it well breeched? No runout at muzzle? Exterior finish ok?  If an unmarked barrel met these requirements I’d buy it. I wouldn’t card who made it.

Other niceties like a little choke at the muzzle are a bonus.
Andover, Vermont

Offline heinz

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 05:13:32 PM »
I second the posts by Mitch and Rich.  I have two Don Getz barrels and two Jon Getz barrels.  All of them are first class.
kind regards, heinz

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 04:47:22 AM »
Bill & Tallbear,
Thanks for the information on the history of the Getz barrels. I have several of their fine barrels and think it is interesting to know about when John took over from Don. I only ever got to meet Don once at the CLA and he was always all smiles! I’m sure most barrels today are equally better than most of us can shoot but always fun to speculate and hope. Thanks again.
elkhorne

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2022, 06:41:08 AM »
This thread makes me wonder, for how many years did John make barrels in Don's shop, before Don passed?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2022, 03:10:43 PM »
Barrel # 19696 is dated 8/1/02

Mitch

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 07:06:45 PM »
Is John still making barrels, or is Getz out of business?
Joel Hall

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 07:32:45 PM »
Is John still making barrels, or is Getz out of business?
Word is that health problems have shut down his production. It’s a shame he’s had such a time with his health.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 08:08:05 PM »
Times past.Dixon's  I don't remember the year.
As for the photobucket stamp, that is something they put on my pictures. These are some I managed to retrieve before they locked me out of my account.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 09:51:43 PM »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.