Author Topic: Painted Carolina Type G by Clay Smith  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Painted Carolina Type G by Clay Smith
« on: October 22, 2022, 01:32:21 AM »
Just got this in:

One of Clay’s dandy trade guns. This example is in .58 caliber smoothbore, or 24 gauge. I asked Mr. Smith to mount a historically correct rear sight prior to shippage as I plan to fire quite a bit of roundball through it. I may even deer hunt with it this year or next, or use it for squirrels using shot.

The gun is very light and handy despite the impressive 48” barrel! It fits me very nicely and balances great. The gun has the classic serpent sideplate and tasteful engraved brass mountings as well as a very cool looking nailed on rustic buttplate. The gun is finished in a red oxide colored paint and some originals are known to have been painted in various colors including red.

Overall the workmanship is very good and I am extremely pleased with this gun. I have some shooting supplies on order for it and can’t wait to get it into the woods for some load workup and fun shooting! I want to also get this to Fort de Charters sometime for a woods walk or something as I live very close to it.

Thanks gang!

Dillon

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: Painted Carolina Type G by Clay Smith
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 03:07:13 AM »
Thats a dandy, congratulations!
Such a long barrel - you could poke the squirrel off the tree with it  ;D

Offline RVAH-7

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 04:31:45 AM »
to see a blue painted Clay Smith trade gun check out the post in blackpowder shooting around October 10th or so by Denny Ducet: Fall Flintlocks Montana.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 04:35:03 AM »
Thats a dandy, congratulations!
Such a long barrel - you could poke the squirrel off the tree with it  ;D

Yes! I’ve accidentally smacked it on several things so far, luckily no damage done LOL. It’s LONG but balances real nice!

Offline Denny Ducet

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:20:49 PM »
What a beautiful gun.  I love the color, caliber, stock architecture, all of it.  Clay does incredible work on his guns.  My wife’s Type G by Clay made me want one intensely!  Although my list grows I can say a Trade Gun by Clay is on it!

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 04:39:06 AM »
Thanks! Here’s a better lit photo of the other side showing the beautiful serpent sideplate:

I LOVE this gun! I’ve got a Lemuel Lyman style belt pouch for it and am going to buy one of Tim’s horns and am going to add a wampum strap to the horn. Every gun deserves a cool bag and horn!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »
I have a rifle that color but not from paint rather the finish (stain) applied did it.  I love that color.  That's a gun I'd be proud to own, but a 48" tube?  I'd be better suited with 42" to 44" barrel.  You have one exceptionally fine trade gun! 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 05:37:04 AM »
I have a rifle that color but not from paint rather the finish (stain) applied did it.  I love that color.  That's a gun I'd be proud to own, but a 48" tube?  I'd be better suited with 42" to 44" barrel.  You have one exceptionally fine trade gun!

Thanks! At 5’ 7”, the 48” barrel is sure a handful but I think I’ll get used to it!

Offline Mick C

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 08:44:12 PM »
That's wonderful!  And the bag and horn go perfectly with it too.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 09:23:02 PM »
They were all the rage about 30 years ago, but never really caught on.  Vernon Davis had a blue one in his booth for years that went unsold.  Likewise with Randy Hedden who finally sold his on the condition that he strip it and refinish it in the conventional manner.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson