Author Topic: Cleaning With Linen Tow  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Cleaning With Linen Tow
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:50:06 AM »
This is how I clean my Flintlock:

Many people would be upset by this procedure, but I have rifles that are 20 and 30 years old that look like they could have been made last week.  I am lucky enough to have outside running hot water.  I’ll show you this way first and then a way if you do not have outside running water.

With Hot Running Water:

First I hang the gun by the trigger guard on a peg near the hot water faucet.  Then, I put dish detergent on a tooth brush.

Brush around the lock area and breech with the wet soapy toothbrush and then squirt lock area with hot water to rinse. 

Next squirt hot water up the barrel until it comes out of the touch hole.  Then let drain.  Do this several times until the water looks clean. 

Now pull off a piece of linen tow.  You will soon learn how much you need for a fairly tight fit in the barrel. 

Don’t wear your best clothes when you are doing this!!!

Now fold the ends of the tow in and put the worm on the middle and twist to put tow on worm. 

Put some detergent on the linen tow ball.

Wet the tow ball and pump it up and down inside the barrel. 

Rinse tow ball and leave it on the ramrod.  Put more soap on it and pump it again.

This time it should be coming out pretty clean.  Rinse tow ball and ram it a few more times without soap.  Rinse tow ball and squirt hot water up the barrel until it comes out clear.  Let barrel drip dry for a few minutes. 

Now run a few dry tow balls in the barrel to be sure it is completely dry. 

Wet a clean tow ball with your favorite gun cleaner- lubricant- protector and lubricate inside of barrel.  If you get any blackness on the tow, keep doing it with fresh tow and lube until it comes out clean.  Run your last oily tow ball over all metal parts of the gun to protect from rust.  Some cleaners that I have used and like are Ballistol and  G 96 Gun Treatment.  But there are many others.  Please note that WD 40 is a water displacer not a lubricant and it tends to leave a film on the metal.   I don’t use it. 

Without Hot Running Water Outside:

If you do not have the luxury of outside running hot water, you can plug the touch hole with a feather or a toothpick.  Close the pan on the feather to keep it in place. 

Pour hot water down the barrel about half full.  Place your thumb over the muzzle and shake and pour it out.  Do this until it comes out clean.  Then use the soapy tow balls as described previously.  Now rinse well and dry and oil as previously explained.

There is a gadget made like a C-clamp with a hose on it that you can put over the touch hole and put the end in a bucket of water and pump it up and down after you remove the lock.  I have heard this gadget works OK, but I have never used one. 

Every several times you do this you should remove the lock, clean behind it, and re-oil it. 

Another good cleaning product, especially for range cleaning every 4 or 5 shots, is Simple Green Cleaner (available in Grocery stores).  It comes in green and pink.  I have used the green and like it, but I have never used the pink.  I mix this about 50% with water and use it on the tow ball between shots and then dry with another tow ball.  Then wet the dry one and use it the next time.

All linen tow can be cleaned in hot soapy water, dried out, combed, and used again. 

THE END!

beleg2

Re: Cleaning With Linen Tow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
Thanks Nate for sharing!

Out of curiosity how much it takes for cleaning?
I timed my cleaning time, 12 minutes for a caplock rifle and a little more for a double rifle.

Thanks
Martin

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
A good explanation of the use of the tow fibers. Thanks.  Lon

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »
Way 'ta' go Nate! ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
Nate, that is awesome! hahahaha. You crack me up.

I will clean my gun like this as soon as I get a log cabin with hot running water! Hahahha.

Way to go.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »
Question:

should this be moved at some point to Black Powder Shooting?

Or if there was ever a Shooting Tutorial section, that would be the place to store articles like this.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »
Nate,

I was given a small amount of tow a while back.  A good friend carries it in his shooting back for primitive shoots.

Where does a person get quantities of it??
In His grip,

Dane

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
Question:

should this be moved at some point to Black Powder Shooting?

Or if there was ever a Shooting Tutorial section, that would be the place to store articles like this.

yes, it's a shooting topic.

I get tow from Susan Wallace in Kentucky.  Will look for her contact info.  She's over on the Frontierfolk forum.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
Beleg2- it takes about 10 min.
Smallpatch- I get it from a lady who spins. Dixie caries it and so do some re-enactment suppliers. It is often in with the flint and steel fire starting supplies as it is used for tinder.

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
Nate, Neat post. What a curious blend of old and new cleaning techniques you use. I am sure they are squeaky clean when you are done.
Personally, I have never used tow. I use a .32 caliber jag for most every caliber barrel and just bush the jag up with layers of t-shirt material until if fits the bore.  Oh yeah,  Fire your plumber! Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »
I'm with Acer,a log cabin with hot runnin' water outside,Ya gotta have dreams!!! This is a good way to go,a little different to get used to,but works well,love using the tow!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:19:25 PM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »
I moved this over from 'Building'. If this is not the right place, please let me know.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:56:29 PM by Daryl »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
Hey! When you've been a muzzle loader shooter for forty years and you build a house you make sure its got outside hot running water. One of the best decisions we made about it. No mess or smell inside- happy wife- peace and tranquility reign. Also great for washing cars in winter and cleaning game.