Author Topic: Mink Oil application to patches?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Mink Oil application to patches?
« on: October 25, 2022, 05:41:39 AM »
What wisdom can you share about the best way to pre lube mink oil patches for hunting loads?  Is the best way to heat some of the mink oil and soak the patches or is it better to  wipe one side of the patch on the unheated mink oil so just the outside of the patch is lubed? 

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Mink Oil application to patches?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 05:49:57 AM »
There will be different views on this but I like my patches soaked clear through. I like to cut my mink oil 50/50 with bear oil, warm it up and soak the patch, place one on a dry one and a soaked one on top, alternating like that.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 06:34:08 AM »
I also like mine soaked through. I have an old sauce pan that has 1can of t.o.t.w. mink and an equal amount of pure neatsfoot oil. I slowly warm it until the mink has melted completely. It never sets up hard so I pick a warm day and hand rub the grease into the patches one at a time. I can do 50 or so in just a few minutes.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 07:02:21 AM »
I have only used mink oil by itself, but the addition as Mike noted, of neetsfoot oil might render it more liquid in colder temperatures.
As noted, I have only used it by itself, since the mid 1980's in the .69 for hunting in -40 and colder, weather. I heat the tin over a hot
 plate and when liquid, I pour it over pre-cut patches, then when almost cool, I squeeze out the excess and pour that back in to the tin.
I realize it is dangerous to heat the tin of mink oil on a hot plate, but I watch it and when melted it is taken off, without spilling ANY on the hot plate.
I find the 2nd shot through 50th or 60th loaded easier than the first one when trying it in my .32. No swabbing nor wiping the bore was necessary
nor is it ever.  That is no different than any other of my rifles, including the smoothbore, when shooting patched balls.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 11:32:42 AM »
Before I acquired a supply of bear oil, I used Tracks Mink oil. I liked the results I got with it. I can't see any difference between bear and mink oil as far as performance goes. The advantage of bear oil to me is that it stays liquid above freezing temperatures. I can apply it to my patches without doing what Daryl does. That was exactly how I used to do it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 08:31:52 PM »
Well I guess I'm the mink oil heretic then.  I simply cut the patches, wipe them on the cake of mink oil and then rub the mink oil in with the thumb & forefinger until the patch is saturated. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 08:40:32 PM »
Hanshi's method would also work & the patches would not be stuck together as they are when squeezing out a stack of them. They are not difficult, however
to peal one off the stack. When I used Track's Mink Oil in the late 1980's for hunting in well below 0F temps, I used a loading block with mink-oiled patches, prior
to switching to paper ctgs.  After I found the paper ctgs. to shoot identically as patched round balls in my .69, I used a patched ball only for the first shot, then the
paper ctg. from my parka pocket if a second shot was needed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RichG

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 11:40:49 PM »
I melt the lube on the stove and alternate stacking a dipped patch with a dry patch. The dry patches soak up the extra lube and less mess on the fingers.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 02:29:15 AM »
I just do it like Hanshi

Offline old george

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 02:34:33 AM »
Same here, same as Hanshi
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 02:50:52 AM »
Hanshi is wise. I do the same but mix the mink oil 50/50 with pure neatsfoot oil.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 04:58:41 AM »
If I use a strip of patching rather than precut patches, I use a putty knife to work the warm mink oil into the entire strip and then roll it up.  When hunting I pre-load my loading block from the strip.  When shooting in a woods walk or similar event, i tie a strip to my bag.  The roundballs are always centered that way and having another item hanging from my bag is designed to intimidate other shooters into thinking I know what I am doing.  Being overly experienced, I need all the help I can get.

Offline EC121

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 05:16:30 AM »
I have one of those coffee cup warmers that I use to melt the mink oil.  I use an old Wonder Lube plastic container and melt it right in the plastic container.  To soften the mink oil I use non-hardening coconut oil.  It seems to make the barrel cleanup easier.
Brice Stultz

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 12:06:49 AM »
I use TOW mink oil, and cut my patch at the muzzle like Jeff. I cut my patching material into 15 to 20 inch strips. Resting my thumb on the patching material in the can of mink oil, I just drag the strip from one end to the other across the open can. This greases one side. Then the strip is rolled tightly, and stored in a small cap tin in my pouch. The grease will completely soak the material in a few hours.
   In use, I pull a roll of material from my tin, and tie it high on my horn strap.

While cutting the patch material at the muzzle, I envision myself looking like Daniel Day Lewis....with my long brown hair blowing in the breeze ( I'm 71,... and quite bald...). While cutting my patch (trying to not cut my Mink oiled fingers) , I can hear the squirrels laughing hysterically at me from the tree tops.... when they fall from the branches, overcome with mirth....I shoot them on the ground....

I don't give a whoop in Hades what a bunch of dumb squirrels think!!!.... It's MY vision, and I'll have it the way I want it!!!.... 
Sorry...

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 01:06:27 AM »
TDW,  maybe we should team up.  Sounds like we both have this thing wired.  I wonder if anyone has tried mink oil for arthritis?  Seems to make everything else work smoother.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 01:50:46 AM »
Well I guess I'm the mink oil heretic then.  I simply cut the patches, wipe them on the cake of mink oil and then rub the mink oil in with the thumb & forefinger until the patch is saturated.

I follow the process that Hanshi uses.  However, I only use Mink Oil as a hunting patch lube.  I use the old Butler Creek speed loaders I’ve had for at least 15 years old and carry a few in my pocket for reloads in the field.  I’ve found that the loads using Mink Oil and loaded in the speed loaders will work just fine several months after preparing them.  They will have no loss in accuracy or be harder to load in the barrel.  As a precaution, I replace the loads in the speed loader each year before hunting season.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 03:31:40 AM »
I hold the mink above a piece of pillow ticking and gently massage it to express the oil. At first they are alarmed by this but after some time they begin to enjoy the experience, it’s much like a massage. Afterwards I reward them with a thimbleful of corn whiskey. This keeps them sedate.

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 05:05:40 AM »
🤦‍♂️

;D

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 05:12:20 AM »
Lol!!
Eat Beef

Offline old george

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 03:30:59 PM »
And I thought my old kraut buddy was strange Panzer ;D Thanks for the morning laugh.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2022, 03:55:10 AM »
I use the Daryl method but use strips and cut at the muzzle. Much of a muchness but when shooting from the pouch there’s one less thing to get in the way of getting to the ball at the bottom of your bag.