Author Topic: Trade gun paper cartridges  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Glenn Dellaway

• Starting Member
Trade gun paper cartridges
« on: December 27, 2023, 02:16:47 AM »
Were paper cartridges ever used in the Northwest trade gun et al?

It would seem to me that they would be very useful in battle but from my research only the militia and standing armies used them.

Glenn

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Trade gun paper cartridges
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:22:56 AM »
 I think most trade gun were loaded with powder, undersized ball, and held in with blanket wading with a little grease, or tallow smeared on it. Shot loads were similar. Most were pretty heavy on the powder. Paper cartridges were military musket fodder.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 04:29:34 PM »
I haven’t seen paper on inventories of trade goods for Native Americans. It’s possible some trade guns were used in militia contexts. There’s a lot of overlap between trade guns that seem to cleanly fit into a type and export fowlers. I’m not sure how much Northwest trade guns were used outside of the fur trade areas and if they’d have made it into militia use.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jbigley

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 06:36:07 PM »
I think what HH said in his first sentence. I shoot a 24 Ga trade gun, using .530 ball and thick greased patch. Works like a charm. Have gotten upwards of 18 shots without swabbing the bore. Good accuracy and easy loading.
Just my experience, FWIW. —JB

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 01:18:01 AM »
I haven’t seen paper on inventories of trade goods for Native Americans. It’s possible some trade guns were used in militia contexts. There’s a lot of overlap between trade guns that seem to cleanly fit into a type and export fowlers. I’m not sure how much Northwest trade guns were used outside of the fur trade areas and if they’d have made it into militia use.

Paper & moulds for ctg. making was on the inventory for Lewis and Clark's expedition. Just remembering from reading the condensed version (2 books) of the 11 book adventure.
However, that is different than trade guns. If there were any "trade" guns were of any of the military calibers, then they would/could use issue ctgs.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 04:28:51 AM »

Paper & moulds for ctg. making was on the inventory for Lewis and Clark's expedition. Just remembering from reading the condensed version (2 books) of the 11 book adventure.
However, that is different than trade guns. If there were any "trade" guns were of any of the military calibers, then they would/could use issue ctgs.
There were a few French trade guns and FDCs made in .69, but not a large number of the total offered over the years. I don’t know if the Brits made any in .77, but I doubt it.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 08:20:41 PM »
Considering the earlier than 1810 paper ctgs. for the .69 muskets held a .64" ball and 165gr. of powder, a few paper ctgs. would feed the trade gun for a  couple shots per ctg., if the owner had
a mould or balls for his trade gun. Later, after about 1820 or so, the charge was reduced to 135gr. musket powder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V