Author Topic: Shooting bag question.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Rt5403

Shooting bag question.
« on: October 27, 2022, 08:29:04 PM »
So what's the best place to get a decent quality bag for a Fowler that won't break the bank. Looking around the 200 dollar range.

Offline Prairie dog shooter

Re: Shooting bag question.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 03:18:09 AM »
The Leatherman.  I use one of them with my smoothbore Chief's gun.  Plenty of pockets for wads, cards, ball and shot.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 06:24:55 PM »
I kind of like this guy's work. All hand made and simple. He seems have reasonable prices too. I have not bought anything from him, yet... but I am considering it.

www.newfrontiergoods.com
Galations 2:20

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »
For the fowler, I like my canvas bag from trackofthewolf.

Of course, there is this one"
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=73894.0
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 09:02:02 PM »
October Country can't be beat.

This is a bag that I designed maybe 20 or more years ago, and it has stood the test of time.  It comes either with a plain strap or with a shot snake with an Irish Shot Head on it.  I use one of these bags myself for my smoothbore shooting.

https://www.octobercountry.com/english-fowler-hunting-bag-with-charger/#reviews

John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Mick C

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 08:59:42 PM »
If you want something made for you, IMHO it's hard to beat Darrel Lang. http://leatherfromthepast.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 09:05:21 PM by Mick C »
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 07:00:13 AM »
October Country can't be beat.

This is a bag that I designed maybe 20 or more years ago, and it has stood the test of time.  It comes either with a plain strap or with a shot snake with an Irish Shot Head on it.  I use one of these bags myself for my smoothbore shooting.

https://www.octobercountry.com/english-fowler-hunting-bag-with-charger/#reviews

John (Bigsmoke)
Very good recommendations so far and your budget should get you a well made bag. Custom made bags will be more expensive but not necessarily better as it all about what works for you and what suits your eyes. You may want to consider buying a bag without a strap so you can add a certain time later. I like a wider strap for my bags and I have several woven straps in particular colors that I've added. Some leather workers have partnerships with weavers and you can choose colors and designs to go with your bag. I have a bag from A Second Chance at History with a woven strap and had the same person make a matching strap for a rifle sling. The two look nice together, I get compliments. A custom woven strap on your bag will increase the price of course but your budget should be close enough to entertain the idea. One more thought on the bags offered by October Country is the leather itself as I saw both elk and buffalo being used. Elk leather is really nice and has a soft, buttery feel to it while still being very strong. Buffalo is noticeably thicker but is probably the strongest you can get. Those are great prices considering the material.

Hope this helps and please let us know what you decide.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline jbigley

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 05:48:34 PM »
All good advice from each responder. I'd just like to add that Wmasswolf, Jay on this forum, makes great bags at very reasonable prices. Give him a shout for more info. FWIW.  --JB