Author Topic: German Silver Percussion Rifle  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Majorjoel

German Silver Percussion Rifle
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
This rifle caught my interest as it is furnished entirely in German silver. Most unusual,  the J. Golcher lock plate is  G. silver as well.  The barrel tells a tale of how its former owner, from youth moved the rear sight forward once as his eyes aged. Then a peep sight was installed, most likely for target shooting, or really bad eyesight?  I had hoped to find a signature under the sights blade, but no such good luck. Was told by previous owner that the rifle had moved west to California from a family from W. Virginia. Maybe someone here can confirm or repute some idea of its origin? I see some similar traits with the G. W. Benson rifle exhibited in the ALR museum. The stock is held to the barrel by two pins through open ended tenons. These are very similar to ones that were discussed a while back from the upper susqu. region. Another interesting feature is the little "dimple" pinch in the comb at the wrist. I have seen this somewhere, but can't place it. This is what I like in a plain working rifle. Those little touches of simple adornment and fine workmanship. I can imagine this builder more than likely made some fancy ones as well.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:37:47 PM by Captjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

Re: German Silver Percussion Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »

Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:12:45 PM by Captjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »

Joel Hall

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »
Nice looking gun.  Your photos will improve if you adjust your exposures to the light reflecting off the gun rather than the background.  Will lighten the subject up and make the details easier to see.
Mike Lee

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »
Hi Capn-A really fine rifle in superb condition! Thank you for showing it around. It is a grand diamond, and the condition is wonderful. It looks like it is a WV gun, and Benson as the maker makes as much sense as any other.
The silver side plate engraving looks like his hand; he liked German Silver and even used aluminum inlays in his later days (he worked up to the turn of the century, I think). A remote possibility, given the rounded cheek rest and pronounced trigger guard spur is that it could have been made in Ohio along the River: doubtful though.
The long spur on the butt plate is interesting and seems to go along with the target sight alterations. Hope that you put her in the Library.
Thanks again-Dick

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:36:03 AM »
Personal comment only.  My great uncle, residence Hagerstown, Md, had a very similar rifle, done in brass, same sight arrangement, that was his favorite rifle for "shooting mark." I recall the same cheekpiece carving and he had a deer silver inlay in there.  Same triggerguard and protruding buttplate.  He said his uncle got it in Morgantown, WVA.  Not scientific, but true.

BGC

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:18:59 AM »
Nice rifle!  Could have been made in WV. 
A Benson??  It's unlike any Benson I have ever seen. I own three of them and have seen many.
I don't think the lock plate is German Silver. If you look real close, you'll see pits where it was rusted. Also the hunting scene and along the borders of the lock plate has dirt/rust in them. German silver wouldn't have these traits. I think the lockplate has been highly cleaned and polished at one time.
Might be a possibility that if you carefully remove the peep sight plate resting on top of the barrel you might find some initials or name on the barrel. You can always put the sight back on once you have examined the area underneath.
Overall, it is a nice clean rifle that hasn't been abused.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 04:35:01 AM »
A very nice, elegant rifle, with pleasing architecture and excellent workmanship! I would definitely be (carefully) removing that sight, to see whether there might be a name underneath.  I have several rifles with maker's names that were concealed beneath a sight.