Author Topic: Making a flint wallet  (Read 809 times)

Offline flatsguide

Making a flint wallet
« on: October 29, 2022, 07:24:23 AM »
I may attempt to make a flint wallet to hold in addition to flints a forged flat turnscrew for the cock and other screws. I’d like to make it with an outer leatherand inner leather. A darker outer leather and a lighter colored inner leather both about 3 oz. veg tanned. I would like to do the sewing that holds the flint and other pockets to the inner leather and glue that leather to the inside of outer leather so the stitching does not show up on the outside. If that is possible I’d use Barge cement if that is the correct choice. I hope I made myself clear. Any problems with this idea?
Thanks Richard

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Making a flint wallet
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 05:14:44 PM »
Richard, you can use Barge. You will still see the border stitching all the way around but you can hide your stitches from the flint pockets by sewing just to the interior.  Since this item will fold, your liner piece will have to be shorter than the exterior and you won't be able to sew it in a completely flat position. I also recommend a thickness difference between liner and exterior.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 01:17:06 AM »
James, thank you! I don’t mind seeing the border stitching at all. Would you choose a lighter weight leather for the interior? In my minds eye I can see the outer covering rolled over the interior leather or maybe more pleasing the lighter interior leather rolled over the outer leather, this may give a pleasing look of a contrasting border. I’m thinking I should skive the leather edges to prevent bulk?
Thanks a bunch
Cheers, Richard

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 03:00:19 AM »
Yes skive your edges down. Yes to thcker leather for exterior and thinner for interior just like a belt or wallet.   I would use the same thickness as the exterior for the pockets.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 07:53:13 AM »
Thanks James!
Cheers Richard