Author Topic: Underside of a dragoon buttcap  (Read 2211 times)

Online mountainman

Underside of a dragoon buttcap
« on: October 30, 2022, 03:10:10 AM »
I am getting close to finishing this pistol I was working on, but I'm having a little difficulty on knowing how to finish this cap's appearance, I don't believe it was meant to have a retainer cap since there was only a hole in the center for the screw (not an offset hole and no slot for the tang) I did engrave a single molding line around the edge on the side of the wood; do I need to shape up to the butt cap around the center screw, or do I engrave around the screw, just trying to find some simple ideas, ( definitely not into relief engravings ) just want something with clean lines.
I know I should have done more research, but is there a book on pistols especially of those French or English styles or maybe even American?
Or can there still be a retainer cap used in this project?
Any ideas? Just want to keep it simple, I don't mind a little engraving if it helps it any...

Online mountainman

Re: Underside of a dragoon buttcap
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 03:15:26 AM »
Here is a picture of my butt cap.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 03:25:23 AM »
Hi,
What is the pistol supposed to be?   Model 1733 French dragoon?  Pattern 1730 or 1738 English land service pistol?  The English pistols just have a screw in the end holding on the cap and visible.  The French pistols usually have a screw cap cover requiring the tab and hidden screw from under the trigger guard.  For your purpose, George Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" might be a good choice because it covers British and French arms.  For British arms, Bailey's "Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms" is the best choice. Also there are usually examples of originals online but you need to know what style or model you are making.

dave
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 03:34:04 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online mountainman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 03:48:12 AM »
Hi Dave,
With a round face lock, and oct. to round barrel, and a acorn trigger guard I would think more English.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »
Hi,
Absolutely.

dave

Online mountainman

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 04:14:06 PM »
So as an English pistol would you leave the flat around the screw as is, or does that have to be reshaped?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 04:36:22 PM »
Hi Mountainman,
First, make the pistol as you please.  It is yours after all.  My comments are meaningful if your intent is to make a gun that is historically accurate for whatever it is supposed to represent.  To better answer your question, I need to see photos of the barrel, lock, and trigger guard.  Then I can try and place the gun historically and advise you.

dave 

Online mountainman

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 06:23:07 PM »
The customer had me personalized it for him in engravings, because of that it's not going to be historically accurate, but this is before any engravings was done.

[url=https

Online mountainman

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 06:43:40 PM »
And even in spite of engravings, It still could be inaccurate.

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 06:44:09 PM »
Really nice work on that pistol.

Jerry

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 06:55:26 PM »
Oh yeah!  :)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 09:48:39 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the photos.  It is not a military pistol.  It does not match any British issued cavalry or dragoon pistols.  What you are making is a civilian horse pistol or perhaps a privately purchased officer's pistol (again not government issue).  In that case, ideally you would have a screw cap over the screw head.  At this point, I am not sure you could do that so I suggest just try to shape the flat area a bit more rounded up to the screw and leave it at that. This is essentially what you are making:

dave

Online mountainman

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 11:43:39 PM »
Hi Dave,
Wow! Nice pistol you made there! Very Beautiful!
Thanks for that clarification of what I'm making, and I like it! I heard of that phrase before but I didn't understand the content of it, I think I'm getting the picture, Military has it's own standard, and they kept it simple and yet nice, anything different in the way it was made is not military! Same as the Brown Bess or Charlesville.  A civilian can do as he please, If he want some things a little different to his liking he can go for it. Then again maybe I'm wrong..

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 01:18:59 AM »
Hi Mountainman,
What it was is the British government did not necessarily supply firearms to its officers.  For the longest time officers were discouraged from carrying fusils or carbines because leadership believed they should concentrate on leading their men not loading and shooting.  When they were allowed to carry, they had to purchase their arms privately.  The government was not going to issue officers arms. In the case of dragoons and cavalry, the enlisted men were issued standard military carbines and pistols, but the officers bought their own. They paid for their commissions so were expected to have the financial means to buy their own firearms.

dave

Online mountainman

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 03:05:23 AM »
That is very interesting! Now I understand those terms like officer's fusil and pistols and why it was different than the standard military weapons.

Online mountainman

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 03:08:21 AM »
Really nice work on that pistol.

Jerry
Thanks!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 06:09:23 AM »
If you want to see Georgain pistols the Book "Georgian pistols: The art and craft of the flintlock pistol, 1715-1840
by Norman Dixon  is a great source for seeing the various variations of what was being done durring that time period. Amazon has several copy's listed. You have a very nice pistol going there well done on bring it  thus far. I look forward to your posting it when finished.
Dave Blaisdell

Online mountainman

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 03:20:10 AM »

So here is what I've done to the underside of this butt cap, without having a retainer cap which would have been ideal to have one.
So now I know for the next one.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 03:22:08 PM »
Good looking pistol. I like the clean, crisp engraving.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 06:55:57 PM »
Very nice pistol and workmanship. I like the engraving quality. The power well be very happy with the pistol at his side. Thanks for sharing. Have a very Marry Christmas. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 08:42:17 PM »
Very nicely done!
John Robbins

Offline LynnC

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 10:56:04 PM »
Far better work than I can do. Just a thought. Perhaps a final touch could be a starburst on the screw head to further disguise it. You certainly have the ability. Well done sir.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 03:49:34 AM »

So here is what I've done to the underside of this butt cap, without having a retainer cap which would have been ideal to have one.
So now I know for the next one.

Nicely finished/completed, mountainman Dave. That looks just SUPER!!!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
I certainly understand "historically correct" for these firearms. OTOH, individuals likely had or did their own "embellishments" to such "factory" firearms to fit their own wants\needs.