Author Topic: What school are these thimbles?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

What school are these thimbles?
« on: November 03, 2022, 11:16:19 PM »
Hey guys. I was going through my parts, and I found these thimbles. What style/period gun would they fit?  They're 3/8" and rounded. Thanks

Online J. Talbert

Re: What school are these thimbles?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 12:21:05 AM »
As is, not sure they come close to any school really.  Some of the trade guns had stamped pipes but they didn’t exactly look like those.
You could improve the looks by filing some flats on them and better defining the bands so that are not so obviously stamped.  By then you come close to the time needed to make some from scratch.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 01:33:24 AM »
Ted Cash school.  :D 

Joking aside I think there was a fair bit of variation in thimbles within a “school” which in reality only lasted 40 years or so. Bucks County School stands out for its entry thimbles but outside of that I’ve not noticed thimble styles tracking with region that much. Southern Mountain rifles may be another story; one where regional styles are often evident.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 05:32:37 AM »
I think they are ment for oct-rnd barrel smooth rifle, the Kentucky fowler or the fowling type piece. I went trough several books checking the use of round rod pipes and it corrilates with round barrels or Oct-rnd for the most part. It would be your safest bet to use them for that kind of build.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 03:09:45 AM »
The 2 pipes look close to the ones on my new England Fowler. The entry thimble is different though mine has more of a v or heart shape to it.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 05:09:25 PM »
I think they are ment for oct-rnd barrel smooth rifle, the Kentucky fowler or the fowling type piece. I went trough several books checking the use of round rod pipes and it corrilates with round barrels or Oct-rnd for the most part. It would be your safest bet to use them for that kind of build.

Wallace Gussler has noted something similar stating that the purpose of the octagon pipe is to mimic the shape of the barrel.
So the use of a round pipe could mean the same thing.

Cory Joe

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 10:33:54 PM »
Before 1800-1820 (?) this is mostly if not completely correct. Gotta be careful about such things.
But remember that a change in fashion in England and elsewhere by 1780 if not before, had an effect not just on the embellishment of furniture but firearms as well. And it came to America as well. Though it took longer to disappear from firearms. In some places at least.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine