Author Topic: A Pennsylvania Dutchman offers his 2 cents  (Read 1926 times)

jwh1947

A Pennsylvania Dutchman offers his 2 cents
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:14:18 AM »
I am pure bred Pa. Dutch on both sides, and have been told many preposterous things about my heritage by people who are not, some bordering on ideas worthy of admission to any of our finest mental institutions. To set the record straight, I humbly suggest the following two books.  Anyone who knows the mental framework of the region has digested these in and out.

1.  Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, Vol. Seven, 1942, copyright 1943, The PA. Ger. Folklore Society, Schlechter's, Allentown, PA.

Within this volume you will find material on the Bucks and Berks County Museums, the Schwenkfelder Library, the Hershey and Landis Valley Museums, and a 50+ page review of PA longrifles, and more.

2.  Same Society, Volume Nine, 1944, published in 1946.  A great chapter begins the book "Storm Blown Seed of Schoharie" followed by a 70-page commentary on Kentucky rifles that  must be understood by any of you that profess to understand the rifles of this region and my culture.  Your biggest effort will be finding copies.  Sort of like being the Robert Langdon of Kentucky Rifles...go search and interpret.  JWH
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:15:47 AM by jwh1947 »