Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Hillrat

• Starting Member
Hi All
« on: November 07, 2022, 09:13:25 PM »
I just wanted to introduce myself.  I have been a long-time guest on the forum and feel that is time to become a member. 

I would like to thank everyone for freely sharing their knowledge here.  I have learned much over the past few years and admire the craftsmanship of leather workers, horn makers and knife/hawk makers.

I have been making bags for a few years now, and this past spring attended the Cook Forest (PA) reenactment for the first time as a sutler.  I am working with 5-6 oz. oil tanned cowhide, and everything is hand punched and stitched, using artificial sinew.  Attached are few examples of my work.  Not nearly as refined as some of you, but I'm enjoying expanding my knowledge and improving/learning new techniques.  Any constructive critique or tips are welcome. 

Take care,

Hillrat

Offline DougS

Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 12:12:57 PM »
Hello and Welcome!

I like your bags. They are artistic and look like they would service a front loader well.

You are right, there is a wonderful membership here of very talented folks. Many have helped and encouraged me as I reached out with questions on my journey. BTW, I'm still on my journey.

Please feel free to shoot me a pm if you would like and we can "always" discuss shooting bags!

Thank you for sharing your work!

Regards,

Doug

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 12:33:00 AM »
Welcome Aboard.  Good Start

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 07:16:30 PM »
Certainly is a very good start, looking at bags, original and from renowned builders can help you forward
Thanks for sharing Hawkeye

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 08:33:46 PM »
Welcome -- I like the way you used the leather lacing - nice touch. I think they will appeal to a lot of folks ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Hillrat

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 01:03:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and kind comments. 

Like most here, I am a hunter and my favorite season is the PA flintlock season.  I also have a keen interest in early American history.  I started out making bags to give to friends and family that are functional and durable enough for hunting while incorporating historically correct designs.  It's rewarding to see a group of hunting partners wearing my bags during flintlock season. 

I just recently began doing inlays of the weeping heart, hunter's star and Lorraine cross on the front flap, and getting a little "fancy" with the stitching and lacing.  Learning as I go, and branching out to make moccasins, knife sheaths with veggie tanned leather and sheaths for the 'hawks I customize.