Author Topic: Re: WTB Northstar Trade Gun Barrel  (Read 984 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: WTB Northstar Trade Gun Barrel
« on: November 09, 2022, 08:03:53 PM »
 If its an old Curly Built tradegun its highly possible the barrel may not be consistent in measurement. I was a dealer some years ago, and rarely got trade guns from North Star that had barrels that would interchange. I understand that changed after the business changed hands.

Hungry Horse

Offline redheart

Re: Re: WTB Northstar Trade Gun Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 11:33:53 PM »
HH,
Thanks man, yes it's one of Curly's early ones and has a 30 inch, 20 ga. "optional", I believe, lightweight barrel. It's been a great shooting barrel and I've actually won a few matches with it but the soldered on front lug has finally popped off and I figured that it might be the time to put the heavier (in weight) barrel on it that I'd prefer. The "$#*!" that I've made for myself is that none of the existing makers clearly give the exterior dimensions of their barrels out, so I thought that perhaps getting an original Northstar barrel might get me close enough. :-\ :o ;D :'(

Offline barracudadave67

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 12:11:13 AM »
I would just resolder the lug back on, and refit as needed. Probably the easiest way to go.

Dave

Offline redheart

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 01:17:58 AM »
Thanks Dave,
 The barrel is not the issue as much as I don't trek with it any more and I want the extra weight for competition at rendezvous.  ;D

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 02:17:28 AM »
My first tradegun was a 30” barreled chiefs grade one built by me. It shot great with a ball, or with shot. It had an N.O.S. Shotgun barrel that I filed the flats, and wedding rings on. I doubt Curly built shotgun barrels lighter than that one. I don’t think a thicker heavier barrel on a smoothbore is an advantage.

Hungry Horse

Offline redheart

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 04:32:41 AM »
HH,
As usual, you're injecting pure logic into my dilemma and sadly as always you are absolutely correct except for the fact that I just simply want a heavier barrel.  ;) ;D :o ??? :-\ :'(

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 06:16:44 PM »
Several of my friends shoot Northwest guns from Curly, while mine is from NorthStar West (who bought the business from curly).  North Star West's barrels are noticeably heavier than the old Curly guns, and were made by Longhammock (not sure of the spelling) barrel Co.

Offline Stank

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 09:44:20 PM »
Bob Hoyt or the gun works (Oregon barrel works) will make you a barrel to your specific dimensions
Stank

Offline Alan Gommel

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 11:25:03 PM »
If you currently have the lightweight barrel and want the heavy walled barrel it will be a larger diameter on the tapered length and would have to be fitted into the wood and then your lighter barrel would no longer fit that stock.
Alan

Offline redheart

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 05:01:16 AM »
Stank and Alan,
I'm taking all of the tips you have given me and will follow up on them. Long Hammock seems to have gone under and Hoyt's waiting list is probably backed up into eternity, however it seems like I'm going to have to get in this line and hope that I don't drop dead before I can get a barrel.  :o ::)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 04:14:34 AM »
I had one of Curly's guns back in the 80's. 12 bore  short light bl. I think the gun weighed 5 1/2pounds when loaded. That got me flinching so badly, I've still not gotten over it.
That's my story, sticking with it. Nothing to do with heavy loads in my .69, honest injun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline redheart

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 07:04:53 PM »
I had one of Curly's guns back in the 80's. 12 bore  short light bl. I think the gun weighed 5 1/2pounds when loaded. That got me flinching so badly, I've still not gotten over it.
That's my story, sticking with it. Nothing to do with heavy loads in my .69, honest injun.
Wow Daryl,
I didn't know Curley even made a 12 bore, must have been a special order just for you since you'd never embarrass yourself with anything smaller. We all know that anything less than a 12 bore and even that to you is considered just a pea shooter. It's also common knowledge that you're not happy with anything less than a proof load equivalent for every shot and that every trip to the range for you requires a next day dentist appointment to replace all of the fillings in your teeth.  :) :D ;D :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 08:12:41 AM »
LOL! ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 01:18:04 PM »
If you currently have the lightweight barrel and want the heavy walled barrel it will be a larger diameter on the tapered length and would have to be fitted into the wood and then your lighter barrel would no longer fit that stock.
If you can get you someone to make you that profile barrel in 28 gauge, you will end up with a heavier barrel, with less recoil and more economical to shoot.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »
Or, a .24 that will allow you to shoot .58 Mini’s, for big game.

Hungry Horse