General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Re: WTB Northstar Trade Gun Barrel

(1/3) > >>

Hungry Horse:
 If its an old Curly Built tradegun its highly possible the barrel may not be consistent in measurement. I was a dealer some years ago, and rarely got trade guns from North Star that had barrels that would interchange. I understand that changed after the business changed hands.

Hungry Horse

redheart:
HH,
Thanks man, yes it's one of Curly's early ones and has a 30 inch, 20 ga. "optional", I believe, lightweight barrel. It's been a great shooting barrel and I've actually won a few matches with it but the soldered on front lug has finally popped off and I figured that it might be the time to put the heavier (in weight) barrel on it that I'd prefer. The "$#*!" that I've made for myself is that none of the existing makers clearly give the exterior dimensions of their barrels out, so I thought that perhaps getting an original Northstar barrel might get me close enough. :-\ :o ;D :'(

barracudadave67:
I would just resolder the lug back on, and refit as needed. Probably the easiest way to go.

Dave

redheart:
Thanks Dave,
 The barrel is not the issue as much as I don't trek with it any more and I want the extra weight for competition at rendezvous.  ;D

Hungry Horse:
My first tradegun was a 30” barreled chiefs grade one built by me. It shot great with a ball, or with shot. It had an N.O.S. Shotgun barrel that I filed the flats, and wedding rings on. I doubt Curly built shotgun barrels lighter than that one. I don’t think a thicker heavier barrel on a smoothbore is an advantage.

Hungry Horse

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version