Author Topic: Powders for Shotguns  (Read 1161 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Powders for Shotguns
« on: November 11, 2022, 09:16:13 PM »
I hesitate to ask the question for fear of starting a long "what's your favorite brand of powder" discussion.  That is definitely not what I want to do, but here goes: 

I've been using Old Enysford 1fg in my 14 bore shotgun with acceptable results, but would like to try some other powders as well.  As you all know very well, powder is hard to find and pricey.  I've managed to locate sources for some Swiss 1 1/2fg and some Shuetzen 2fg.  I currently have plenty of Swiss 2fg on hand that I use in some of my rifles.  Now for you experienced shotgun shooters, what do you think would be my best bet, from those 3 powders, to try next.  Thanks in advance.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline JPK

Re: Powders for Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 10:09:54 PM »
I haven’t used those powders but have used both 1fg and 2fg GOEX with good results for about 45 years. The 12 gauge double is what I shoot.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 10:38:42 PM »
I haven’t used those powders but have used both 1fg and 2fg GOEX with good results for about 45 years. The 12 gauge double is what I shoot.

JPK,

I just bought a 12 bore double from a gentleman here on the forum, hope to have it in a week or so.  In my club, we're trying to get a group that shoots clay birds.  Since not many have shotguns or smoothbores, those of us that do share our guns with those that don't.  Sometimes I get a little nervous sharing my original English 14 bore with new shooters, so the 12 bore Dixie shotgun will be handy.  I'm hoping a find a powder that works well in both guns.  That's why I want to try some other powders.  Thanks for your input.

Don Richards
Don Richards

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 04:07:21 AM »
Don, I load 75gr. 1F GOEX in a 12 bore double, twist barreled London hammer gun with 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2's for clay's.  No chokes, so I load 3 over shot wads on the powder +1 over the shot. I broke 20 straight with it at our local rendezvous. On second thought, it might have been only 15 straight.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 12:33:21 AM »
Don, I load 75gr. 1F GOEX in a 12 bore double, twist barreled London hammer gun with 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2's for clay's.  No chokes, so I load 3 over shot wads on the powder +1 over the shot. I broke 20 straight with it at our local rendezvous. On second thought, it might have been only 15 straight.

Thanks, Daryl.  I've been shooting 75 grains of 1F Old Enysford in a 14 bore double, twist barreled London hammer gun with 1 1/8 oz of number 9s.  No chokes in mine either.  I've been using the SuperChief load with pretty good results.  Hope to do better on the clays now that I've had cataract surgery and should to be able to see the bloody things.  Always looking for ways to improve things, so I'm going to see what I can do with some other powders as well as 1F.

Don Richards
Don Richards

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 08:17:58 AM »
Every gun is a world unto it's own. However, I have had really good luck in several non-choked guns with nothing but the thin
"B" wads between powder and shot and of course, over the shot as well. I tried the sky-chief loads in the 12 bore, but it didn't like it.
I have not tried it in the 20bore flinter as it has a choke and likes a normal wad column.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 04:51:01 PM »
Don,
For clays you can load down on powder as well, to keep the pressures down Clays dont take much breaking. its hitting them that counts!
I have shot a lot with 2 3/4 drams of 2F or Curtis and Harveys No 6 powder, with an ounce of shot and it did very well.
I also in a single barreled 14 bore got fantastic patterns with 2 1/4 drams of 2 F or C-+H No 6, and i i/4 ounces of shot.

You know to keep your pressure down for best patterns.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 05:24:29 PM »
Don,
For clays you can load down on powder as well, to keep the pressures down Clays dont take much breaking. its hitting them that counts!
I have shot a lot with 2 3/4 drams of 2F or Curtis and Harveys No 6 powder, with an ounce of shot and it did very well.
I also in a single barreled 14 bore got fantastic patterns with 2 1/4 drams of 2 F or C-+H No 6, and i i/4 ounces of shot.

You know to keep your pressure down for best patterns.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. 

Don
Don Richards

Offline SciAggie

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 07:10:27 PM »
I have not used the specific powders for listed.
I'll offer my experience with my shotgun.
I did quite a bit of patterning this year with my 12 gauge cylinder choke shotgun. It was my experience that it is quite forgiving as to the type of powder. I tried Goex 2F and some Elephant 2F. I have Swiss 2F, but less of it, so I reserve it for my rifle.
My shotgun showed measurable preferences for the amount of powder as well as the specifics of the shot column. The load with the best pattern at 40 yards in my shotgun was with the Skychief load. I was using 90 gr of Goex 2F. It's a stout load, but I'm after ducks...
In case anyone wonders - yes the Elephant powder had increased fouling. I'm one of those guys though that will either spit in the barrel (I use a single barrel gun) or carry a small spray bottle so I can give the barrel a "drink". After a few shots I'll load the gun but hesitate after I pour in the shot. Then I'll spritz the barrel and drive home the remaining wads. This keeps fouling soft for me.

It is my belief that large granulations are preferable. I do not use anything finer than 2F. 

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »
I shoot 2-f in my 12 gauge double.  Brand of powder seems to make no difference.  Wads make or break the pattern.  I shoot 80 grains with 1 1/8 ounce shot for clays and dove, quail or 90 grains with 1 1/4 ounce shot for pheasants and chukar.  I also spritz a little moose milk down each barrel after loading.  It keep the fouling soft so the wads clear it when fired.  No wiping necessary between shots for a full day of shooting. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 07:51:00 PM »
I might add, that I found no wiping was necessary over a 20 shot string shooting just overshot wads between powder and shot and over the shot. Maybe it would be if shooting
40 shots?
Daryl

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 12:23:49 AM »
Sorry to be a little slow responding, but I've been deer/hog hunting for the last few days with no luck.  Here in central Florida we took the brunt of Hurricane Ian and Nicole.  The eye of both storms passed over my house.  The woods has a lot of standing water and many spots are still inaccessible. Also, the acorns have been blown off the trees, are scattered, and are submerged  :(

The 12 bore Dixie SxS I bought from a gentleman here on the forum should arrive on the 23rd and it's choked in at least one barrel, but the seller (the original owner) doesn't recall what the choke(s) are.  So the fun now starts with measuring the muzzles to determine the chokes, working up two different loads, and then procuring all the correct size components. Then getting my 77 year old mind to remember the loads.  Certainly have to enter the data in a load book.

Don Richards
Don Richards