General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Powders for Shotguns

(1/3) > >>

moleeyes36:
I hesitate to ask the question for fear of starting a long "what's your favorite brand of powder" discussion.  That is definitely not what I want to do, but here goes: 

I've been using Old Enysford 1fg in my 14 bore shotgun with acceptable results, but would like to try some other powders as well.  As you all know very well, powder is hard to find and pricey.  I've managed to locate sources for some Swiss 1 1/2fg and some Shuetzen 2fg.  I currently have plenty of Swiss 2fg on hand that I use in some of my rifles.  Now for you experienced shotgun shooters, what do you think would be my best bet, from those 3 powders, to try next.  Thanks in advance.

Don Richards

JPK:
I haven’t used those powders but have used both 1fg and 2fg GOEX with good results for about 45 years. The 12 gauge double is what I shoot.

moleeyes36:

--- Quote from: JPK on November 11, 2022, 10:09:54 PM ---I haven’t used those powders but have used both 1fg and 2fg GOEX with good results for about 45 years. The 12 gauge double is what I shoot.

--- End quote ---

JPK,

I just bought a 12 bore double from a gentleman here on the forum, hope to have it in a week or so.  In my club, we're trying to get a group that shoots clay birds.  Since not many have shotguns or smoothbores, those of us that do share our guns with those that don't.  Sometimes I get a little nervous sharing my original English 14 bore with new shooters, so the 12 bore Dixie shotgun will be handy.  I'm hoping a find a powder that works well in both guns.  That's why I want to try some other powders.  Thanks for your input.

Don Richards

Daryl:
Don, I load 75gr. 1F GOEX in a 12 bore double, twist barreled London hammer gun with 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2's for clay's.  No chokes, so I load 3 over shot wads on the powder +1 over the shot. I broke 20 straight with it at our local rendezvous. On second thought, it might have been only 15 straight.

moleeyes36:

--- Quote from: Daryl on November 12, 2022, 04:07:21 AM ---Don, I load 75gr. 1F GOEX in a 12 bore double, twist barreled London hammer gun with 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2's for clay's.  No chokes, so I load 3 over shot wads on the powder +1 over the shot. I broke 20 straight with it at our local rendezvous. On second thought, it might have been only 15 straight.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Daryl.  I've been shooting 75 grains of 1F Old Enysford in a 14 bore double, twist barreled London hammer gun with 1 1/8 oz of number 9s.  No chokes in mine either.  I've been using the SuperChief load with pretty good results.  Hope to do better on the clays now that I've had cataract surgery and should to be able to see the bloody things.  Always looking for ways to improve things, so I'm going to see what I can do with some other powders as well as 1F.

Don Richards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version