Author Topic: drawings for stock carving  (Read 1660 times)

Offline DCAN

• Starting Member
drawings for stock carving
« on: November 12, 2022, 04:50:20 AM »
I'm trying to locate a source of drawings to copy and transfer to a stock for carving. I can't seem to locate a book or other source. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: drawings for stock carving
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 05:14:29 AM »
It would be better IMO if you look at books like RoCA or  Kindig and then freehand DRAW patterns on a artists tablet. It will help you a lot more than transfers. Then you can draw them on your stock when its ready.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline DCAN

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 06:21:16 AM »
Thank you , I will look for those books.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 07:08:53 AM »
The KRA cd’s are a great resource. 

http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 08:42:37 AM »
I agree with Mike.
The KRA Discs are an excellent resource for carving  examples of original longrifles.

I also second Dan’s suggestion to practice drawing patterns on paper and then draw them on your stock.  You will have to erase and redraw multiple times but this method will allow you to incorporate the carving to architecture  and other features of the stock.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Goo

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 03:05:59 PM »
Golden mean applies here and keep the cuts shallow. Make or buy a pair of golden mean dividers.  You can find them by internet search.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 05:55:17 PM »
If you are interested in Lancaster County drawings here is a neat little book, I dont know if it's still available or not.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kCSQdxXKwIU/TKoqy4MzQWI/AAAAAAAAAxw/_jRhv8s8Toc/s1600/1+lancaster+book.jpg

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 05:57:04 PM »

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 06:20:40 PM »
DCAN,
Another idea is like others have suggested, go to the books RCA 1 and 2 or Kindig’s book and copy any carving patterns you like. Then note in the description on you choice and note some basic dimensions listed like buttplate height, lock length or etc and using your printer blow up your initial copy and bow it up until it meets one of those basic dimensions. Then copy the full size carving pattern on tracing paper. Once copied on the tracing paper, turn it over and redraw on that side. Now you have a pattern you can lay on your stock or practice piece and go over it to copy your pattern on the wood. I have also made blank copies of full size butt profiles for different schools and you can look at a photo and practice freehand drawing carving patterns. As suggested above, the KRA discs are excellent sources of studying and drawing original carving patterns. Good luck with your carving.
elkhorne

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 04:02:44 AM »
[quote  ) author=David Rase link=topic=74111.msg737772#msg737772 date=1668265024]

[/quote]

Great… Now I have to find THIS book..
;)

Offline Goo

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 03:57:38 PM »
If I don't have a pattern in I  start out with graph paper.   When the notes I the book give overall dimension and barrel length you can divide the photo into inches.  Then I use a set of dividers to approximate the rest of the measurements.  I plot the gun out onto the graph paper to get a place to start. Some things are standard like you know the web under the barrel is going to be from 3/16' to 1/4" you know a barrel is going to be a certain width.locks are going to be from 4.75" to 6" long .  Other things like the comb and cheek piece will place by use of golden mean.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 04:15:58 PM »
Dan,
I have a copy that you are welcome to look at next time you are at my shop.
Bill

Offline RAT

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 04:13:36 AM »
DCAN... I just sent you a PM.

Also... I think that book was available through Muzzleloader Builder's Supply.
Bob

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »
This maybe an entirely different discussion topic, but I would love to see what members on here designed themselves..

Has anyone ever made their own carving design? I am always too wimpy and like to use originals as examples and guides.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 11:22:10 PM »
This maybe an entirely different discussion topic, but I would love to see what members on here designed themselves..

Has anyone ever made their own carving design? I am always too wimpy and like to use originals as examples and guides.

To do this right you have to have a good understanding of Baroque and Rococo or its going to look too modern and out of place.
Wallace Gusler goes into this in his carving video. Carving on a late 19th c bed head board is not going to be right for a Kentucky rifle. Remembering the carving in furniture was going out of style before 1800 and the carved furniture of the 1890s was 90-130 years after the art  forms essentially were killed off by fashion.
It also apparent  on some mid +- 19th c original rifles that someone with no training just drew something on the stock and carved it. Usually the whole gun shows a lack of training or eye for line.
I have invented carving here and there on rifles but the idea is to follow original designs. So I will invariably go through some books, find something I like then modify it to make it fit. Maybe combining elements from more than one original.
I probably have a rifle here that might have a design I drew out and used but I doubt it. But if I follow the art forms of the time period its going to look like something from the period anyway.