Author Topic: Greatly worsening eyesight  (Read 2108 times)

Offline flehto

Greatly worsening eyesight
« on: November 13, 2022, 12:38:31 AM »
My eyesight is really becoming worse {macular degeneration} and have trouble finding and  punching the correct key when typing. I've always enjoyed offering  info ...... especially on Bucks County LRs,  but am no longer able to do so and this I greatly  regret. I'm still able to post photos w/o text and still might do that if requested.....Fred

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Greatly worsening eyesight
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 12:43:46 AM »
Very sorry to hear this. Your work has always been so clean and with a very high quality of execution. You certainly got a lot out of your good years.
Andover, Vermont

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 02:31:13 AM »
Flehto,

A friend of mine, who did a lot of hand work, has the same issue.  I helped him set up a video camera on an articulated arm, like the ones used for a stereoscope, and a TV screen.  The arrangement magnifies what he is trying to look at many times and he has had good luck with it.  It's not the same as 20 year old eyes, but it is way better than not being able to see much detail at all.  I set this up for him several years ago but there seems to be a lot of new stuff on the market like the link below.  It might be worth some investigation.

I wish you the best....

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microscope-Flexible-Observation-Magnification/dp/B00XNYXQHE/ref=asc_df_B00XNYXQHE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241898902709&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14109352690154568932&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031632&hvtargid=pla-406645440655&psc=1

And here are a bunch of others.....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnifying+camera&i=electronics&crid=3DQOZKPHZ8U63&sprefix=magnifying+camera%2Celectronics%2C150&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 02:35:30 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 03:29:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Fred.
I always admired your work!
John
John Robbins

Offline JEH

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 03:34:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that Fred. But know your last build is in my safe hands!
Jeff

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 03:56:29 AM »
My eyesight is really becoming worse {macular degeneration} and have trouble finding and  punching the correct key when typing. I've always enjoyed offering  info ...... especially on Bucks County LRs,  but am no longer able to do so and this I greatly  regret. I'm still able to post photos w/o text and still might do that if requested.....Fred

Sorry to hear this.
Will you computer allow you to dictate to it?

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 03:58:52 AM »
Flehto,

A friend of mine, who did a lot of hand work, has the same issue.  I helped him set up a video camera on an articulated arm, like the ones used for a stereoscope, and a TV screen.  The arrangement magnifies what he is trying to look at many times and he has had good luck with it.  It's not the same as 20 year old eyes, but it is way better than not being able to see much detail at all.  I set this up for him several years ago but there seems to be a lot of new stuff on the market like the link below.  It might be worth some investigation.

I wish you the best....

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microscope-Flexible-Observation-Magnification/dp/B00XNYXQHE/ref=asc_df_B00XNYXQHE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241898902709&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14109352690154568932&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031632&hvtargid=pla-406645440655&psc=1

And here are a bunch of others.....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnifying+camera&i=electronics&crid=3DQOZKPHZ8U63&sprefix=magnifying+camera%2Celectronics%2C150&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

The  depth knowledge on this sight is always amazing.
Great idea.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 04:43:30 PM »
I have been bothered with failing eyes as well but not to the point where I can't work if I want to.I had cataracts removed 3 years ago and that
was a big help and use bifocals when in the shop.Aging eyes and everything else I suppose is part of living beyond the Biblical 3 score and 10 and
at 86 I am very thankful I need no medications beyond an occasional aspirin.My wife keeps CVS in business and I think these doctors here are good
conversationalists and throw pills at every thing without knowing the side effects and that's not a good thing.For the first 6 months of this year I took
a "memory"medication called Doneprizel and two side effects are prostate problems and low back muscle spasms.My wife thought my memory was failing
because I don't even try to remember trivial things and after looking this stuff up online I gave most of it to the toilet.I still have prostate trouble and
blame this medication.Better living thru chemistry?
Bob Roller

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 07:07:34 PM »
Sorry to hear this Fred.
So many things we take for granted when we’re young…
Hopefully you can find some benefits from the many technological advances of the day, as Dave has suggested, to allow you to continue participating here and in other areas of your life.
I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Best wishes,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 01:00:41 AM »
Fred, My brother and me had to stop making long rifles two years ago, because of eyesight. It is very hard for me to type on here with out back spacing. We are both 87 years old. Hope a good eye doctor could help you. Hang in there.

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 04:30:25 PM »
Thanks to everybody for the kind words.......Fred

Offline yip

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 06:09:31 PM »
  Fred; i'm sorry to hear the news i wish you the best!  i want to thank you for all your advise on the B/C rifle, hope to hear from you in years to come    THANKS!

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
Fred, I'm sorry to hear that and hope you're able to find ways to continue seeing well enough to do everything you enjoy.

I would assume you have discussed this with your doctor, but just in case you haven't, here it is. There is an eye injection that is used to slow AMD. The medication is called anti-VEGf. I have received several of these injections for my eye health problems, which is not AMD, but I know they use it for treating AMD and in some cases it can improve vision in AMD patients.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading everything you've shared here and love seeing your beautiful rifles.

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 02:54:00 AM »
yES,,,,EVERYTHING POSSIBLE HAS BEEN DONE....fRED

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 06:25:21 AM »
Fred,
Sooty to hear about your vision problems Fred. Still admire your builds and love the photos you have posted. More photos of any angle, shape or form will always be appreciated and wonderful for study. We love your Bucks County knowledge and never can get enough. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
elkhorne

Offline grouse

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2022, 03:22:28 AM »
Sorry to hear this.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 05:16:56 AM »
OMG Fred. So sad to hear. I feel for you, buddy, although we've never met.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 02:38:00 PM »
Godspeed, Fred, and thank you for all you have contributed

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 10:49:39 PM »
Fred, I will miss seeing your beautiful new works and helpful comments. You have been a wonderful help to me over the years. Please stay with us as much as you can.  :) :)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline heinz

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 11:52:31 PM »
Fred, I am very sorry to hear this.. We have all gained form your posts and are certainly willing to put up with bad typing.  Some computers to have voice to text functions.  My apple phone does it.

Take care and be happy Fred, every day is a gift.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 02:58:09 AM »
I use a full-size PC keyboard with backlighting on my lectern computer due to the dimmed lights so I can see to type, and students can see the large wall mounted screens with the lights dimmed.

Here is an example https://www.amazon.com/Nuklz-Computer-Keyboard-Visually-Impaired/dp/B01G9RNB6W/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1PJZROQVCAAMS&keywords=backlit+keyboard+bright+large&qid=1668901749&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011&rnid=1248877011&s=electronics&sprefix=backlit+keyboard+bright+large%2Caps%2C110&sr=1-10

Fred I hope you find something to help with your situation. We don't want to lose another valuable contributor!
Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 03:36:15 AM »
So, for the time being, it seems you can read type on these posts.  Would it be useful if we used a larger font?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flehto

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 05:19:47 PM »
Again....thanks to all for the kind words,  Taylor.....seeing the keyboard is the main problem, at tomes have to make text spelling  corrections 5-6 times. Just plain takes way too long.....Fred

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 05:41:04 PM »
Fred, there are Large format keyboards available. Also ones with different color key letters.
Click the link below and take a look. 

https://wiproo.com/7-best-keyboard-for-visually-impaired-individuals/
John Robbins

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 05:45:50 PM »
Fred, I've always enjoyed seeing your Bucks County rifles. I hope you can find a way to still be active here.