General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

POI changing with light

(1/6) > >>

stretchman:

These are two different loads shot on different dates at 100 yards.  Has anyone else witnessed point of impact change this drastically do to a change in lighting?

Thanks
Todd

smylee grouch:
A change in light conditions can for sure change POI but that might not be the case with your targets when you use two different loads and powders.

yellowhousejake:
Those two loads are really different, I would look there first.

But, yes, light can change your POI. I had a student shooting on a south facing range in the fall one weekend. As the sun moved from the left to the right you could watch his groups shift across the target. A cardboard front sight hood solved the problem and the groups snapped right back to center. There is also two years difference in when you shot those groups, on two different targets.

Pretty rifle, post a picture for us.

DAve

smylee grouch:

The first 5 shots in one ragged hole overcast sky, went down to check target and walked back, shot a fouling shot into the bank then shot 3 more shots at same aiming point with sun shining through partly cloudy sky. I didn't have my shader with me. I was shooting east and sun moved group up and right somewhat.

Jeff Murray:
You did not mention what type of front sight you have.  Brass?  Silver?  Both can reflect light and affect your point of aim.  You are shooting some pretty stout charges.  going after bear?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version