General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Skwerls

(1/2) > >>

alacran:
Had a very nice day last week. 45 degrees in the morning, 70 degrees by 11 am.
I was really scouting a place to hunt deer and decided to take my .40 skwerl rifle with me. The critters were everywhere. Mostly the Greys were scampering around on the ground. The leaves are thick on the ground and crunchy as it is still very dry in the Midwest. That and the fact that the Greys do not sit still for very long made them tough targets.
The Fox skwerls on the other hand are generally slower in everything they do. So, they do tend to pose for longer periods
The result for the morning was 3 Fox and 1 grey. I was 3 for three head shots on the Fox skwerls and 1 for 4 on the Greys.  The Grey moved just as I squeezed the trigger and turned into a neck and shoulder shot.
Both types with their pea sized brains were smart enough to run for cover in the oaks that still had leaves.
I must admit that the little rodents are my favorite game to hunt.

smylee grouch:
Yes fun to hunt and eat too.  ;D :)

MeliusCreekTrapper:
Looks like a grand hunt. The fox squirrels sure do make easier targets, and as a bonus they tend to be bigger, so more meat per shot.

flinchrocket:
How did the deer scouting go?

alacran:
I saw five does and a huge bodied 10 pointer.  Being a meat hunter, I was pleased to see so many does while walking. Interestingly I saw the buck about 100 yards away after I shot a skwerl.
I saw him react to the shot, and he came all the way towards me and stopped 15 yards away. He noticed me and stared and bobbed his head up and down. He stomped his right front hoof a couple of times. I was surprised how quickly he approached me. He kept this up until I tried to retrieve my phone out of my pocket so I could photograph him. I hadn't moved my arm an inch when he bolted.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to get my phone while he was walking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version