General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Antique Rifle Ram Rods

<< < (2/3) > >>

Daryl:
I agree with Taylor.  The bore swabs, fouling scraper, breech scraper, breech brushes and bronze bore brushes are not needed for most people. While a worm would work with cleaning patches, I prefer to use a jag. I also have a ball screw that will retrieve a "lost" cleaning patch, thus the jag for cleaning and the ball screw are the only necessary tools for me.

Panzerschwein:
Worm of various types were common. Some were fairly ornate, others as simple as piece of wire bent into a coil and held to the end of the rod by self-tightening friction ala a Chinese finger trap.

Dphariss:
The loose patch on a worm as shown below will over run the fowling and then bunch up to fit tighter on the return stroke. This tends to pull the fouling out the muzzle. I use a tighter fitting jag after a few patches on the worm. Its in the bag since I was shooting another 54 yesterday and I only have one 54 jag for some reason.

The worm is from TOW. The pin punch is for pushing out the barrel pins. Brass extension is for the ball puller if needed. Shop made turn screw.  A patch keeps down the rattle.  Kibler Colonial “tool box”.

Daryl:
Well "appointed".

Top Jaw:
I know this is partly off topic, but I would not try to pull a ball with the rifle’s loading rod and an extension.  They can be a tuff tug.  And the gun’s loading/cleaning rod is a poor tool to accomplish this. Although in an emergency in deer camp, it “might” work. 

A longer range rod, and preferably a stainless steel one, is a much better option.  But the best tool of all is a CO2 discharger that goes through the vent.  Unless the ball is blocking the vent.  Then pulling is your path forward - or removing the breech plug.  My point, I would only attempt to pull a dry ball with a good long stout (hopefully metal) range rod, that I can get two hands on.  So I wouldn’t necessarily carry a ball puller jag in my patch box out hunting.  But in my range box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version