Author Topic: Gouge set  (Read 799 times)

Offline Zack

• Starting Member
Gouge set
« on: July 28, 2023, 01:00:05 AM »
Gentlemen, where would be a good place to look for a quality basic push gouge set?  Maybe 4 or 5 in a set.    Years ago I put together a Pecatonica Tulle and got by with an assortment of wood chisels from Sears and hardware stores.    They did good enough to get by I guess.    I said then that if I ever did any more stock work I'd get hold of a good set of push gouges, (or would you call them palm gouges/chisels?).
So,  where do you guys that do this all the time get your wood chisels and gouges.    Where do you buy the good stuff?   Thanks    Zack   

Offline ed lundquist

Re: Gouge set
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 01:14:09 AM »
Zack, it all depends on your budget. You can get a set of 6 Pfeil for $155 or an older set of Millers Falls for $25 and everything in between. Can you keep them sharp and how much will you use them. Amazon has plenty, Woodcraft and Lee valley are well stocked ebay has plenty.  I often buy used and refurbish.

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 02:14:51 AM »
and don't leave out flex cut brand from the same sources, well made and middle of the road prices, wood carvers supply is another source.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 02:25:24 AM »
I wouldn’t buy palm style tools.  I also wouldn’t buy a “set”.  If you do you’ll end up with a bunch of tools you don’t use. 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 02:32:29 AM »
What Jim said. Buy the ones you need if you buy a set of 6, you will only use 2.
Waste of time and money.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 05:29:01 AM »
Zack,
Go to flintriflesmith.com, Gary Brumfield’s website, Tools and Techniques, Tools for Carving Class. Unfortunately Gary has passed away but his website is still active and has very good advice and a wealth of information. He even has a great carving tutorial. Like Jim and small patch said, look at Gary’s list and start building from it. Jim’s carving book also has a list, possibly some smaller than Gary’s but also an excellent place to start. Finally go to Bill Raby’s videos on Rumble.com and watch his Isaac Haines Lancaster Build or Maryland Build and watch him. He will give you some good ideas about what he uses. He also has a tool video in the Maryland Build series. Good luck, study and get back to building.
elkhorne

Offline Zack

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 05:54:46 AM »
Thanks all!   That's plenty enough to get started on.    Ed, as you said, E Bay is full of chisels and gouges, American made too. 
Jim,   what  you're saying is to get get a chisel/gouge that can be used dual purpose, either  by hand or with an impact tool like I wooden mallet.  I get that.
Elkhorne, I'll certainly look at the vids.       Zack   

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 07:31:52 PM »
Look for Ramelson carving tools at some of the wood supply stores on the web. They will not break the bank and hold an edge fairly well. Some companies make an intermediate length chisel for those that want something longer than a palm chisel.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb