Author Topic: My Apprentice and Our English Fowler Project  (Read 29489 times)

Offline flatsguide

Re: My Apprentice and Our English Fowler Project
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2023, 04:20:16 AM »
Wow! Very nice....that is very nice. This is not easy work. Congratulations.
CheersRichard

Offline Mgray

• Starting Member
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2023, 04:25:19 AM »
Hello All,

Another day in the shop completed and what an exciting one it was! The first small portion of the day was spent staining my stock. We tested some different stains on some of my scrap wood and then chose which one I liked best. (This is why it is important to keep the pieces you chop off guys!) The stain chosen was mixed from 4 different water-soluble aniline dyes from Brownells; scarlet, resorcin brown, tartrazine, and nigrosine. I painted the stain on the stock.

Dave and I then performed his ritual of spinning around three times reciting the Pledge of Allegiance backwards, whilst burning some sage and sniffing acetone so the stain would come out correctly. As many have seen with his work, his stains are beautiful, so obviously the ritual works and should not be questioned (nor performed at home). We let the stain dry outside in the sun and painted it with some alkanet root dye.

This really emphasizes the figure in the grain and adds to the beautiful, rich, red brown color.

After letting the alkanet root dye dry I put the first layer of finish on. For the finish I am using Southerland Wells' Medium Sheen Polymerized Tung Oil. I diluted the finish 1 to 1 with Turpentine and applied the finish while lightly sanding with some 220 grit wet-dry sandpaper: creating a brown slurry.

The slurry really helps seal up the pores of the wood and then it dries creating a crust that will be sanded off prior to another layer of finish.

I waited and watched the finish dry for a while before putting it out in the sun.

While my stock was drying, I got to work polishing up the barrel and sideplate. I did some draw filing on the octagonal flats of the barrel and then moved on to 220 grit wet sandpaper and did some barrel-shining.

The sideplate took some finesse and a lot of patience (as to which Dave will tell you I do not have) to polish but will turn out to be quite stunning once done.

I can't believe this project is almost done. It is quite bittersweet.

-Maria

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 04:31:31 AM by smart dog »

Online mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #202 on: May 22, 2023, 04:41:29 AM »

I don’t think you are “almost done”

I think you are just getting started.    This hobby has a way of becoming
        A permanent obsession.

I was only going to build one……….that was in 1972

Keep up the good work.

Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2023, 05:28:02 AM »
This has been one heckuva journey and the end is around the corner. I am sure it will be a bittersweet experience as your ( current) project wraps up.
Question: is the thumb piece glued in place?
Thanks!

Online Dwshotwell

« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2023, 05:54:12 AM »
“Dave and I then performed his ritual of spinning around three times reciting the Pledge of Allegiance backwards, whilst burning some sage and sniffing acetone so the stain would come out correctly.”

NOW WE KNOW! Thank you for sharing that. And really thank you and Dave for sharing all of this. It’s been fun to follow and to learn.
David Shotwell

Offline Mgray

• Starting Member
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2023, 06:09:36 AM »
This has been one heckuva journey and the end is around the corner. I am sure it will be a bittersweet experience as your ( current) project wraps up.
Question: is the thumb piece glued in place?
Thanks!

Yes Bob, the wrist escutcheon is glued in place.

Offline duca

« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2023, 08:42:27 AM »
Very Cool!!!!! Great job!!!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2023, 05:33:07 PM »
Saw it this weekend. Feels like a magic wand.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2023, 02:26:18 PM »
So tell us Maria; what was (is) your most favorite aspect of crafting your superb fowler?

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2023, 07:18:26 PM »
So tell us Maria; what was (is) your most favorite aspect of crafting your superb fowler?

Hank
Good question, Hank.
I have really enjoyed following your building of this Fowler, Maria. You have done very well.
 Thanks to you and Dave for posting.
Joe Stein

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2023, 12:10:05 AM »
Outstanding job in every respect!

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2023, 02:49:16 AM »
Hi,
Thank you all for supporting Maria and our work!  Ken, your note will bring a huge smile to Maria's face.  She will never forget her time at the workshop and wants to come back.  You added greatly to her skills and experience and I thank you sincerely for that.  I don't know everything and every way to do things, and she needed exposure to master builders like you and Ian.  She talks about you guys all the time.

Well today, we got a lot done.  The weather is perfect for drying finish so the first task was to get more finish on the fowler.  I sanded off the crust of filler yesterday and put on more finish because we had to take advantage of the weather and time.  The fowler has to be completed within 2 weeks to meet her school obligations, so we have to move.  Maria will do a separate post on the stock finish.  I am going to cover other tasks such as engraving and barrel finishing.  Maria began this project last November.  In a little over 6 months working no more than 2 days a week she has gone from never having touched a stock blank to what you see right now. It is a remarkable result, however, I cannot expect her to master engraving at the same time so I am doing most of that detail work. Nonetheless, as you will see, she is beginning her training in engraving. Although most of us make what we want regardless of historical detail, the objective of this gun was an historically correct fowler of good but not exceptional quality that might be imported to colonial America.  To that end, the engraving and decoration has to suit. I think we accomplished that goal.  Here is the butt plate with engraving copied almost exactly from one of my original fowlers.  It is perfect for this gun.

Next, we want some decoration on the breech of the barrel.  We decided on a simple fluted band with borders.  To cut those borders I had Maria cut several guide lines with the AirGraver, then do the same with a hammer and chisel. We were going to widen and deepen the borders with a triangular file anyway so the cuts with gravers was good practice that could be repaired if needed.  Maria did very well with the gravers.

The we moved to the metal working bench and she filed the borders deeper with a triangular file and the fluting with a round file.

In the process she wanted to stop and make a demo photo for her future career as a hand model. I Photoshop brushed out the black dirt, bloody cuts, and greasy film on her hands so she can submit the photo in her resume.

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2023, 08:54:38 AM »
Top notch student and top notch teaching!  It is coming along amazingly well - Congrats to both of you!  And triple kudos for the hand-modeling humor.   8)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2023, 03:27:52 PM »
Hi,
We were not able to post for a while because of the ALR server problems.  Anyway, Maria promised to post photos of the staining process.  I am going to update things with the latest work.  We started making the ramrod.  It has a bison horn tip so we had to turn that.  I cut off a horn tip, drilled it for about a 9/32" hole, and mounted it on a piece of dowel.  The end of the dowel is slotted for a wedge that holds the tip tightly on the dowel.  I trimmed off most of the asymmetric mass of the tip and then let Maria have at it.  She never turned anything before.

Next she hit it with sand paper, broke off the excess wedge and turned the end a little concave.

The ash ramrod has to be tapered a lot so we began that process.  My method is a little wonky but it works efficiently.  The arbor of my wood lathe is hollow so the long rod can stick through it.  On the end to be turned, we drill a shallow centered hole to fit the point of a live center.  Then we mount the rod in the lathe exposing only short sections for turning.  The rest of the long rod sticks through the headstock but it has to be controlled or it will wobble and break.  So the left hand controls the wobble and the right holds down the turning tool.  It works well but requires a bit of right hand strength.

After turning 4-5 inches, we move more of the rod out.  We did not finish this task or making the tip because we need the stock to fit the rod.  The stock is still being finished.  When done, we will complete the rod.  Here is the mostly finished stock.  It needs more finish and some blackened areas rubbed out a little more. 

dave

Maria barrel racing:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 03:40:11 PM by smart dog »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2023, 06:38:34 PM »
Its nice to see a multi talented individual involved in more than one interest especially when they include one of our own pastimes.  :)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2023, 08:07:23 AM »
Maria is definitely not the average teenager or young adult!!!  Kudos to her!!!

Curtis
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 08:48:33 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2023, 06:22:30 AM »
Great job all around.  Cant wait to see it finished and some targets shown.

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2023, 06:45:30 AM »
more great stuff.. please keep it coming. thank you both.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2023, 05:42:23 PM »
Amazingly talented young lady. She had to have had an excellent teacher as well. It takes a special talent to be a good teacher. The
results are very telling and rewarding. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mgray

• Starting Member
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2023, 08:57:51 PM »

Hank

Jeez Hank,

This is not an easy question... I honestly have loved it all, even the not so enjoyable tasks. It has been such an incredible journey and learning experience. I can tell you my least favorite parts quite easily though. Filing and polishing cast steel parts have got to be the worst things to do. I definitely did not enjoy the nerve-wracking experience of drilling the blind hole for the ramrod either. I'll leave that task to others in the future when possible (AKA Dave).

This summer I'll be building two Short Land Pattern Brown Besses, one Long Land Pattern Brown Bess, and one Eliot Carbine with the guidance of Dave. The goal is by the end of the summer to be able to build a musket by myself without any guidance. I will of course be following in Dave's footsteps and posting updates on those builds throughout the summer provided I can find the time in between my time spent at the shop and my time spent at the barn young training horses.

Maria

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2023, 10:17:19 PM »
Hi,
Thank you all for supporting Maria.  We are a hair's breath from being done.  The stock is finished, everything to be engraved is engraved, the barrel is polished and tarnished, the lock is tuned and heat treated, and the ramrod is finished.  This post shows a few final house keeping tasks that you may not see very often.

We fitted a brass front sight by mortising the barrel using gravers.  We located the center of the barrel near the muzzle by laying the barrel upside down on a flat surface, used the top octagon flat to keep the barrel flat on the surface, then inserted a thin flat needle file under the barrel where the sight would go, and drew it out.  That marked the exact center.

We just cut a flat bottomed mortise and then undercut the sides.  The 4140 steel is very tough and it took some work to cut the mortise.  Next we cut a brass sight from sheet and filed a fine dove tail all the way around the bottom.  The idea is to insert the sight in the mortise and then peen the barrel into the dove tail, locking the sight in place.  We did not know how well the 4140 steel would peen so I put flux in the mortise and then the sight, gave it a tap on top to make it stick, then sweated solder into the mortise.  After cleaning up the exces solder, I peened the barrel around the sight with a punch.  That seemed to work pretty well. I shaped the sight and left it a bit high.

We finished the ramrod.  I had to make a ferrule for the thin end of the rod.  I made one the traditional way, rolling thin sheet steel (0.032" thick) on a tapered form.  I thinned the steel where the seam overlaps, fluxed the seam and soldered the edges together.  It came out slightly cock-eyed but it will work fine.  I then threaded the end for a cleaning jag (we will make another rod with a worm).  I fitted and glued it to the rod and then pinned it.

We then installed the horn tip.  We used glue but also a wedge like an axe handle.

After the glue dried, we cleaned up the end, then sanded, stained, and finished the rod.

Since November, 2022, Maria has worked with me on her gun usually 2 days a week.  We covered an incredible amount of ground and array of skills.  She did phenomenally well and I expect she will grow into a remarkable gun maker if she chooses to continue.  Of course life is what actually happens despite our plans and she has a lot of life to go and choices to make along the way.  I hoped to get her engraving by this summer.  She has practiced a bit with both hammer and chisel and Lindsay Airgraver.

However, no rational person could expect her to master engraving with all the other skills in the time frame we had.  She has made some strides and will get there in time but I decided to do the engraving on her fowler.  We wanted a gun representative of actual English work at the time and we copied engraving from several original guns in my possession.  It came out well and you will see it when we post the final photos, probably this weekend.  The fowler had to be finished this week so she could have it for her final presentation to the school June 9. 

dave

PS  I am not supposed to reveal this to Ken Gahagan and Ian Pratt but Maria engraved a smiley face on the inside of the butt plate Ian forged. ;)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2023, 10:19:32 PM »
Maria, congratulations on a great build. You have done well with the help of a great teacher and I think he has had a good student who probably had great teachers before starting this project so my congratulations go out to them too. We look forward to any and all upcoming projects.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2023, 10:29:51 PM »
Maria is well above "AVERAGE".The definition of that word is The best of the worst or the worst of the best and this does not fit her at all.
How many of US at 18 even with a fine instructor could turn out a job like this one? She is a joy and delight like my young friend and history teacher Amanda Kizziah.These girls needed help and  I have been fortunate indeed as Smart Dog has,The fact that both girls are good looking is frosting on the cake.
Bob Roller

Offline Mgray

• Starting Member
« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »
Hello All,

Well here's what everyone has been waiting for... The final pictures.

Man has it been a journey. Sometimes I have to pinch myself and ask if this is real. The best part? It is! There are a few little things I'd fix and change or wish I had done differently, but overall I'm definitely proud of myself. I couldn't of done this without having such an incredible teacher and mentor in Dave.
All the engraving is done by him, as that was a skill I did not have time to master with the deadline I had to work with.

I'm definitely NOT going to stop building although college will shorten the amount of time I have free. Already there are four orders in for this summer I will be building for folks (two Short Land Pattern Brown Besses, one Long Land, and one Eliot Carbine). The goal by the end of the summer is to be able to build a historically correct musket by myself without any guidance. I will be following in Dave's footsteps and posting updates throughout the summer on those builds so everyone who has followed this project has something to look forward to.

I would also like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has followed and supported this project. Your endless support and encouragement has never failed to bring a smile to my face. Thank you all for following along.

-Maria

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2023, 04:50:30 PM »
Maria, What a fine piece you put together.  I enjoyed following this thread.  You couldn't have asked for a better teacher than Dave, but obviously you took the ball and ran with it, especially that Dave has you doing some "next level" tasks.  Great job both of you!  Looking forward to your future builds and posts.  TommyG