Author Topic: Hawken Kit  (Read 3604 times)

Offline borderdogs

Re: Hawken Kit
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2022, 12:23:18 AM »
Like I did with primers, I bought a lot when they were available and cheap. I have around 3-4000 both top hat and #11 I have a few cans of #10 too. I like to shoot both flint and percussion
Rob

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2022, 04:10:00 AM »
I just noticed Track is offering the Bridger Hawken with all parts showing in stock,for about 1100.00. It looks like some refining of the stock from earlier offerings has been done.
I priced out the kit with fancy wood, 62 cal barrell, all available machine services, and came up with about 1500.00
Back in 2015/16, I built 2 Hawken style rifles with wood and parts from Pecatonica,again, as much pre inlet,rough fitting buttplate,etc.
I kept my time on both,and had right at 100 hours each by the time they were finished.
I had great guidance from several of the guys here.
Both of them sold quickly.
I'm with the other guys in that a Kibler long rifle be a much better beginning into building these smokepoles, and way less frustrating.
THe Hawkens are the most intense mechanical fitting rifle projects I've undertaken.
Much satisfaction when done well,but a lot of effort and night caps.Well, that not so bad.I could use a little toddy about now.
Best wishes on what ever you decide to do. Great advice and help here.
Happy Thanksgiving all. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Hood

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 06:12:17 AM »
Thanks for all the information and I will be looking into all the avenues offered.

To be straight forward, this is what I would really like to have... https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8848.0

A full stock .62 cal flintlock and I find this one really appealing. If I could buy it outright, I most likely would.

Thanks again!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2022, 05:41:46 PM »
Like I did with primers, I bought a lot when they were available and cheap. I have around 3-4000 both top hat and #11 I have a few cans of #10 too. I like to shoot both flint and percussion
Rob

I did the same thing.Primers by the thousands and sold off some and still have as many as I need.Percussion caps,maybe 700,maybe not.
If I ever buy or make a muzzle loader it will be a flintlock.Other than the long range rifle I built back in 2002 I have done little with black powder beyond making a few bits and pieces.
Bob Roller

Offline RAT

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »
Taylor built an incredible rifle! I'll never reach that level of skill. My only pet peeve is that it's a great 1850's rifle... with a flint lock on it. To be historically correct it should have been made as percussion.
Bob

Offline redheart

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2022, 07:22:06 PM »
Taylor built an incredible rifle! I'll never reach that level of skill. My only pet peeve is that it's a great 1850's rifle... with a flint lock on it. To be historically correct it should have been made as percussion.

] D.Taylor is truly one to be envied. His posts and tutorials are priceless info to me.  He's an awesome person for taking the time and trouble to make them. I always study them before I do anything. He's saved me from many mistakes.
Many thanks, D. Taylor ! :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 09:54:37 PM by redheart »

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2022, 05:09:30 AM »
Thanks for all the information and I will be looking into all the avenues offered.

To be straight forward, this is what I would really like to have... https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8848.0

A full stock .62 cal flintlock and I find this one really appealing. If I could buy it outright, I most likely would.

Thanks again!
  Your taste in Hawken rifles is impeccable. That is the finest fullstock that I have ever seen.