General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Shot Snake Project

<< < (2/5) > >>

Hungry Horse:
 I made and used one for several years. They work great, but you should drill the measure for a lanyard of some sort. The measures are easy to lose, and hard to replace. The stitching around the neck fails pretty quickly, and is hard to fix. If I were to make one now, I would glue it, and then saddle stitch it with something besides imitation sinew.

Hungry Horse

Mike Lyons:
Thanks for information. I need to figure out how to secure the spring.  The problem I’m running into with a hacksaw blade or rake tine is the filing in the notch.  There’s not much metal to play with. I also need to secure it somehow with a rivet to the spout.  Friction isn’t holding it.   This little simple  project has taken a turn.  I’m starting to understand why they are $80 for a new one.

Pukka Bundook:
If I remember right Mike, that is why I used a separate piece for the disk you depress. the rest was thicker spring material.
Mine's out in the shed I think, but dont recall a rivet or anything. Let me see if I can find it tomorrow..

Mike Lyons:
Thanks Pukka but I think I got it.  After 8 or 9 attempts at bending a notch in the spring, filing in a notch, pounding in a notch, breaking and losing pieces on my messy desk, I have one that works well.  I read your post and stacked two pieces of hacksaw blade and soldered them together.  The stack made the notch I needed.  I used a checkering file to spice it up. 

Pukka Bundook:
Good job Mike.
Looks very tidy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version