General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Black Powder

<< < (3/7) > >>

Bob Roller:
Can any of these ersatz powders be ignited by a flintlock? Could the barrel be loaded with these odd powders and fired by a pan primed with the real old GOEX or DuPont or Swiss.? I remember some of these substitutes that were corrosive and could ruin a bareel fast.
Bob Roller

Daryl:
Bob- I don't think there are ANY phony powders that ignite well in a flinter, without real black powder (booster charge) being put down first.
The phony powders have a very high ignition temperature and some are higher than others. T7 or 777 by Hodgdon is one of the phony's having
 high ignition temperatures required.
& yes- most of them are quite aggressively corrosive, likely having Pyrodex at the top of that list.

moleeyes36:
I've read somewhere that Pyrodex works well when scattered in your flowerbeds.   ::)

Don Richards

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: Daryl on November 25, 2022, 08:34:33 PM ---Bob- I don't think there are ANY phony powders that ignite well in a flinter, without real black powder (booster charge) being put down first.
The phony powders have a very high ignition temperature and some are higher than others. T7 or 777 by Hodgdon is one of the phony's having
 high ignition temperatures required.
& yes- most of them are quite aggressively corrosive, likely having Pyrodex at the top of that list.

--- End quote ---

That's what I thought but have no experience at all with any substitute powders.Thanks for clearing the fog I had about this.
Bob Roller

Dphariss:

--- Quote from: Chocktaw Brave on November 23, 2022, 02:32:55 AM ---Still scarce as hens teeth up here in Alaska. I may resort to pyrodex in the cap locks to save the black powder for my flinter.
Pyrodex is avail almost everywhere and I have 5-6 lbs of it.

--- End quote ---

I have never seen a gun shot with pyrodex that I could not tell just by looking. If you must use 777.  I have seen Shilohs come in with “bad barrels” that had only shipped weeks before. Already micro pitted. No warranty.  And it may never show any rust. The fouling can attack steel at the molecular level according the Mad Monk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version