Author Topic: Black Powder  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Nazgul

Re: Black Powder
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
CTG grade is pretty much 2F. I use it with no problems.

Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2022, 04:26:34 PM »
While at the range yesterday an elderly gentleman I see often walked up to me and said as I am here at least once a week he thought I should have these. His neighbor passed away so the widow brought him all of his guns and shooting supplies. Most he could use but the round wood ball short starter, 2 nipple wrenches, a brass adjustable powder measure, a box of .440 round balls, 2 pounds of Goex 2f and 1 pound of Goex cartridge back powder. When I offered to pay him he just smiled and said "Merry Christmas." I don't have a use for the cartridge black powder but know someone who can use it. The rest I will give away to anyone that needs them, especially if its a young or new shooter.
"Yes Muskrat there is a Santa Claus"

IIRC correctly CTG is just FF with a closer sifting, fewer fines. Might be wrong but either will work in a ML though is might be a pain in rifles under 40 cal or so.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2022, 04:42:09 PM »
The “replica” powders.
The ONLY reason that BP is listed as a class A explosive is that it has a low ignition temperature. The “new” replica stuff  (none of it really is new) have a much higher ignition temp and thus not an “explosive”.
The high ignition temp and burn rate more like progressive smokeless make the replicas unusable in flintlock ignition. This is why the companies making caps have increased the compound in percussion caps and/or use a compound with a longer flame. Neither is needed and may even be detrimental with actual BP.
Bill Knight told me some years back when it hit the market that Old Enysford (?) has something added to it but his illness kept him from digging into it. Mostly because it’s smoke smells different than other blackpowders. He suspected “something new had been added” to get it to perform more like Swiss since Goex could not get the charcoal here that the European powder makers generally uise. At least that what he told me. So I see it as a “replica” powder as well. I don’t even know if the fireworks company will even keep making it.  I stopped using GOEX as soon as I could for personal reasons.
And the fact that the Moosic made powder was $#@*.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:45:52 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jerry

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2022, 03:19:19 AM »
The CTG will work just fine in .45 and above. You just need to use about 10gr. more than you would with 3F.
Daryl, I was just wondering if I could use the cartridge powder I have in .58 rifled barrel for round ball. Thanks, Jerry

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2022, 07:20:40 AM »
I like O.E. pretty well. Burns pretty clean. Smells the same to me?

Offline ScottH

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2022, 09:14:56 PM »
Just checked this morning and "Powder Valley" has both Swiss and Schuetzen Black powder in stock.
It appears that they have most grades or granulations in stock from 1F to 4F including Null B Swiss.

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2022, 06:43:32 PM »
I shoot Cartridge powder same as 2F pretty often and  really like it. I also bought a case shortly before the shortage started and have plenty of 2F and 3F Goex and Olde Eynsford but I may need to pick up 5 Lbs of 3F Swiss as I have one rifle that shoots it better than any other powder.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2022, 08:42:40 PM »
The CTG will work just fine in .45 and above. You just need to use about 10gr. more than you would with 3F.
Daryl, I was just wondering if I could use the cartridge powder I have in .58 rifled barrel for round ball. Thanks, Jerry

"The CTG will work just fine in .45 and above. You just need to use about 10gr. more than you would with 3F."

Most .58's are larger (above) than .45's.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V