Author Topic: Shootin shed  (Read 1550 times)

Online ed lundquist

Shootin shed
« on: November 25, 2022, 04:27:09 AM »
Building this shed for inclement shooting. Needs battens and a chimney, also a bench and some seats. Likely gonna put a short roof above the shutters as well. Shutters open on 100 yard range, looking forward to firing up the stove and making some smoke. Any suggestions are appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:49:14 AM by ed lundquist »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Shootin shed
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 06:01:08 AM »
Extend shooting bench so you can have muzzle out the window.  ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 06:14:35 AM »
Good idea, SmyleeG.
Great shooting shed, Ed.
Goin' ta paint it?
What colour?
What else?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 06:59:13 AM »
You might also want a couple more windows and shelves on the walls.

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »
And a respirator.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 04:14:45 PM »
Enough light to see your sights.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Online ed lundquist

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »
Alacran, three awning windows and the shutters and door open and muzzle outside, I'm hoping that will be enough to prevent asphyxiation. It will be just myself normally and rapid fire isn't an issue. Daryl, I'll likely put some stain on it in the spring so it blends into the woods a bit better. Plenty of cut offs for shelves. My son forged some handles for the door.

Offline DanL

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 04:54:47 PM »
Excellent shooting shed. Here in Alabama, we have opposite temperature concerns. Where you want warmth, we want cooling or ventilation. I am not in proximity to take pictures but imagine an open shed (small pole barn) 12x16’. Target/front side has a 4’ deep x 10’ wide heavy solid bench for shooting. Back is a 4’ deep, 3’ high heavy bench the entire 12’ width of shed for do-dads, equipment and shooting stuff. Left side is a 1’ deep sturdy shelf at 36” high. The inward facing side of the shelf has ‘v’ notches cut in to facilitate loading muzzleloaders or safely holding rifles in line for shooting.

I installed a 12 Volt car radiator fan for ventilation, cooling or smoke dissipation as needed.

The shed is located on a power line facing down hill for 50 yards then up hill for 200 yards. Large dirt mounds with targets are at 7,  25,  50, 75, 100, 150 yards respectively from the shed. Enough hill is left to hopefully accommodate over shots. I own the woods beyond for a long way to catch errant balls/bullets.

Come shoot with me sometime!

Dan
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"

Offline FDR

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 07:42:10 PM »
Might want to add a vertical gun rack near the bench.

Fred

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 08:49:50 PM »
Also, if you are to use it for hunting you might want to consider a rug or some indoor/outdoor carpet to help keep the noise down from any movements.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 03:34:41 AM »
Sweet. I like it!  ;)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 05:09:19 AM »
NICE!
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online ed lundquist

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 06:31:20 AM »
Dan, thanks that is constructive and that is a gracious offer which I return. Smylee, I have seen a few walk by and it is a spot that will produce a deer but I still manage to get in the woods and stalk. The shed is looking more comfortable day by day and a rug is a good idea. Some solar lites will likely be added as it is a bit dark inside. Got to cut some dead wood for the stove this week.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 02:33:14 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 07:49:37 AM »
Alacran, three awning windows and the shutters and door open and muzzle outside, I'm hoping that will be enough to prevent asphyxiation. It will be just myself normally and rapid fire isn't an issue. Daryl, I'll likely put some stain on it in the spring so it blends into the woods a bit better. Plenty of cut offs for shelves. My son forged some handles for the door.

Not red for the shed, Ed? ;D
Blending would be a good idea.
Daryl

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 04:46:32 AM »
A rack to load from might be helpful.  If you plan to shoot flintlocks and have two shooters at a time, consider something to prevent the touchhole exhaust from singing the shooter to the right.

Online ed lundquist

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 05:07:30 AM »
Thanks Jeff,  yes a dividing wall will go between the two openings. There is a hole in a floorboard where you can rest the butt of the gun when loading, works well, I'm going to add another for the other opening. Good suggestions, thanks.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 06:35:19 AM »
That's pretty cool shooting shed.  This is my buddy's up in Ft. St. John. It is fully insulated and he runs a propane heater in the winter and late fall.
He calls it his "Old Man's Blind". He also has target holders at 50 and 100yards.
It is on a 1 acre field that is visited by elk, moose, deer (mule and whitetail) as well as bears.
The bench is left and right hand, complete with sand bags and rest.

cursive font copy and paste
Daryl

Offline DanL

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2022, 05:59:02 PM »
Oh yeah...A chair that swivels and height adjustable to get the perfect seated presentation to the rifle. [old office chair]

I prefer sandbags for rests because they are infinitely adjustable. Each for his own with rests.

Target stands are "fancy". They are two t-posts with a shipping pallet stood vertically over the t-posts. Staple targets to the pallet. All parts of  the target stand are inexpensive and easily replaced when used up.

Have fun and good shooting.

Dan
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"