Author Topic: stock thickness  (Read 629 times)

Offline Ravenshurst

stock thickness
« on: November 25, 2022, 10:29:37 PM »
Hi all.
  I am getting ready to start collecting parts for a build.  I REALLY want a swamped .62 barrel, 1.125 at the breech.  So....most pre-stocks are kinda on the thin side for that size of breech.  Is 1/8 inch of wood on each side at the breech thick enough, or is it guaranteed to break?  Sorry if this is a stupid question...
Thanks

Online T*O*F

Re: stock thickness
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 10:34:11 PM »
The thickness on the side of the breech is determined by the thickness of the lock's bolster.
Also, stocks break from mishandling, not the thickness of the wood.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 11:00:44 PM »
With a swamped barrel that size you typically want a buttplate 1 and 7/8” or wider. If you want a cheekpiece count that in. 2 and 3/8 planed square and straight will usually do it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 12:43:19 AM »
T*O*F*, Rich. Thanks for the answer. I realize that the breech a+bolster x2 = width.... I found a precarved stock on a forum, very low priced. The thickness through the butt and the lock panels is 1.75 inches. I was wondering what if that would leave enough wood.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 01:06:18 AM »
T*O*F*, Rich. Thanks for the answer. I realize that the breech a+bolster x2 = width.... I found a precarved stock on a forum, very low priced. The thickness through the butt and the lock panels is 1.75 inches. I was wondering what if that would leave enough wood.
I saw that stock. They think it’s maple. No real information on what the stock design is, or drop at heel or comb and so on. I’d never buy something like that without the stock in front of me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 02:34:39 AM »
Thanks Rich.