Author Topic: Interesting Lecture in Charleston SC Next Spring  (Read 910 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Interesting Lecture in Charleston SC Next Spring
« on: November 24, 2022, 02:19:22 AM »
Even though I live in the Peoples Republik of California, I get a lot of mail from the Historical Charleston Foundation (and I love the town).  In the most recent mailing, I noticed a series of lectures being offered next Spring and one in particular caught my eye on 14 April, 2023...."The Archaeology of Charleston Gunsmithing" by Sarah Platt PH.D., Assistant Professor of Anthropology, College of Charleston.  In all likelihood I would not be able to attend but I thought I would put the word out in case anyone else is interested. 

https://www.historiccharleston.org/blog/event/luncheon-lecture-the-archaeology-of-charleston-gunsmithing/

Happy Thanksgiving to all....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:53:48 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Interesting Lecture in Charleston Next Spring
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 09:41:58 PM »
Dave,
That looks interesting but the lunch would make a house fly puke.We hope all is well with you.i might restart the shop work but can't get up any enthusiasm at this time.
Bob Roller

Offline Whitewalls

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 10:10:16 PM »
Caviar and bananas. What demographic are they expecting?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 01:28:16 AM »
Interesting. :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »
Whitewalls, Bob,

I don't think they are serving caviar and bananas....the lunch is being catered by a Cafe called "Caviar and Bananas"......https://www.caviarandbananas.com

:) ;)

Bob, glad to hear you might do a little more work.  I understand about building up enthusiasm.  Sometimes I just tell myself I will gather parts or materials.....or just lay out what tools I will need for some small task....or just make a pencil sketch of what I want to build / make.....about 15 minutes with of work.  Often I only spend that 10 or 15 minutes .....but other times, even if I only intended to spend a few minutes at the bench, I look up and find that I have been working happily for an hour or two.   ;)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »
Whitewalls, Bob,

I don't think they are serving caviar and bananas....the lunch is being catered by a Cafe called "Caviar and Bananas"......https://www.caviarandbananas.com

:) ;)

Bob, glad to hear you might do a little more work.  I understand about building up enthusiasm.  Sometimes I just tell myself I will gather parts or materials.....or just lay out what tools I will need for some small task....or just make a pencil sketch of what I want to build / make.....about 15 minutes with of work.  Often I only spend that 10 or 15 minutes .....but other times, even if I only intended to spend a few minutes at the bench, I look up and find that I have been working happily for an hour or two.   ;)
The name of the catering eatery and it looks good! Right now I have no interest in doing anything in the shop and haven't for a couple of months.I have only enough material for 2 Hawken long bar triggers and that's it. SMR triggers there is material but no strong interest in making them now. There is one small 4 screw lock that's been laying around partly done since 2019 and it's sold if I get it done.
Bob Roller

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 04:34:46 PM »
Thanks for posting that up, I will make it a point to attend. I live only 25 minutes away.

Just got the ticket for it, can't wait! Hoping to meet some more local folks who are interested in this   

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:43:03 PM by Mule Brain »
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 03:40:26 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Dave. Some may be confusing the two Charleston.
Bob
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:34:02 AM by BOB HILL »
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Interesting Lecture in Charleston SC Next Spring
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 03:54:22 AM »
Bob,

Thanks....I added the state to the title of the post.... ;)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780