General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

A couple joann's fabric measurements

<< < (4/5) > >>

Daryl:

--- Quote from: HighUintas on November 30, 2022, 10:14:40 PM ---Yes it felt like it would work very well. But was about $45/yard!

--- End quote ---

Inexpensive?  $45.00 per yard is not inexpensive to me.  I thought the denim here was outrageous at $33.00 per meter.
I only buy it when it's on for 1/2 price. 
I have never found my denims to rot but I suppose if left over with lube on them, they might.  I did shoot some years ago, that
had gone a year lubed with Neetsfoot Oil. They were slightly sticky, but were wholesome & shot & loaded just fine. This was back
in the 2002 era.

HighUintas:

--- Quote from: Daryl on November 30, 2022, 11:59:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: HighUintas on November 30, 2022, 10:14:40 PM ---Yes it felt like it would work very well. But was about $45/yard!

--- End quote ---

Inexpensive?  $45.00 per yard is not inexpensive to me.  I thought the denim here was outrageous at $33.00 per meter.
I only buy it when it's on for 1/2 price. 
I have never found my denims to rot but I suppose if left over with lube on them, they might.  I did shoot some years ago, that
had gone a year lubed with Neetsfoot Oil. They were slightly sticky, but were wholesome & shot & loaded just fine. This was back
in the 2002 era.

--- End quote ---

No, no, no! You must have misread a post of mine or maybe I typod somewhere. It was MUCH to expensive for me, otherwise I'd have bought it. The cost of your denim up there is expensive too. I think mine was $10-12/yd. I have been telling my wife she need not get me anything for Christmas, on account of my medical bills draining our savings :/

Daryl:
My wife and I don't exchange gifts any more. We tend to buy what we want. ;) She likes ski & hiking stuff - I like the shooting sports & fishing stuff.

moleeyes36:

--- Quote from: P.W.Berkuta on November 27, 2022, 09:45:19 PM ---Each lot of material will be different in thickness than the next lot and if you measure the material before the sizing is washed out then that will also alter your measurements. The measurements you get is only a guide the real proof of accuracy in your gun is in the shooting of it with your pet load ;)

--- End quote ---

Yes, I find this to be the case as well.  And as Daryl said, the material is thinner before the sizing is removed by proper washing.  The quality control is not as good as it could be in China where the denim comes from now, so the thickness does indeed vary from one bolt to another. 

Don Richards

recurve:
just got back from Joeanne fabrics and they no longer sell the 10oz denim I used for patching . they now carry 7oz (11oz with1 %spandex) 12oz and "bull denim" that is said to be aprox 10oz but mikes smaller than the old (after 2 washings and hot/high dryer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version