Author Topic: What caliber round ball for small white tails?  (Read 10551 times)

Andy A

What caliber round ball for small white tails?
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:18:14 AM »
Gents,
What cal RB would you use to hunt small white tails?

Andy

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: What caliber round ball for small white tails?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28:18 AM »
Here in Pa. it has to be .45 or more to be legal.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
IMO, where / how you hunt can play a big part as well...

ie: if the average shot distances are long, then a .54cal (or even a .58cal) might be a good choice as their increased ball weight would carry energy out to further distances.

If its mainly closer woods hunting where shots probably only average 40-50 yards, a .50cal is a solid performer, followed by the .45cal.

Just my views on the matter...

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:49:12 AM »
For smallish deer, I could get by with a .40, but would prefer something bigger, like a .14 bore rifle for any range to 200 yds. or at least a 20 bore smoothie for close, 50yd. shots.  I am somewhat predudice towards big calibres.  With a .40, I'd try to limit shots to 80yds. or closer.

Pick a legal-for-deer calibre in your area and limit the range to that which you can put 3 rested (tree, sticks or whatever) shots into an 8" or 9" pie plate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:49:36 AM by Daryl »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:17:12 AM »
My favorite is the .45, though I've killed more deer with the .50.  That's just the way it turned out.  Where legal the .40 should work fine if you can keep all shots in the boiler room.  I also wouldn't stretch the range too much past 50 - 60 yards.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:32:37 AM »
While I consider the 40 a bit light, an another individual claimed he shot a few deer with one and said it was good as long as you "waited and let them bleed out"  Archers do that for arrow hit deer as they can be pushed a little farther than liked that way.  Isn't that bad of advice, unless you see them fall.  45 is a good all around caliber for deer, small game and targets.

DP

Offline pulaski

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:38:07 AM »
I don't think you could go wrong with either a 45 or 50 cal.
Personally I like the 50.
YMMV
Thanks , Steve

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:52:37 AM »
If I wanted an all around good caliber for target, squirrels and small whitetails, I'd go with a .40, if it met the legal minimum caliber where I was hunting, and if the deer were smallish, and the range likely to be 50 yds or less.   If the gun were dedicated to deer hunting,  the deer weren't smallish, and the ranges might be up to 100 yds, I'd go with a .50.

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:20 AM »
I have used 45, 50, 54, and 58 cal. rifles to kill deer, and I feel best using a 54 cal.  it carries more weight and it doesn't  shoot as big a rainbow as the larger calibers. I haven't lost a deer with any of the cal. balls, but have gotten super results with the 54.  Any will work as long as you spend enough time with the rifle shooting to know where it is at different yardages.  Practice builds confidence and shot placement is as important as when using a bow.
                                              Roger Sells

Mike R

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »
My personal  minimum is a .45, which is legal in most states.  I have seen small deer in parts of Texas that could be humanely harvested with a .36 [not recommended]. .40 is illegal here in Lousyanna, so check your local laws. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Bigger is better.  It will stop them quicker and if you do make a bad shot, you will get the penetration to punch through the deer and give you a better blood trail, break bones, etc.  I now limit myself to 75 yards with my .45.  Sure, I could kill deer with a .32, but I'd have to limit myself to head shots.  I think a good sized deer would go at least 100 yards and maybe a quarter mile with a .36 in the lungs.  So it depends on the type of challenge you're looking for, what the laws are, and what else you want to use the rifle for.
Andover, Vermont

Ron T.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 12:47:08 AM »
Roundball and Hanshi are right on the "mark"...

If your shots are less than 100 yards, a .45 or .50 prb in the 'boiler room" should do just fine.   ;)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 02:54:18 AM »
Gents,
What cal RB would you use to hunt small white tails?

Andy

45 or 50

A 40 (or even a 32) would work but I like to err on the larger side.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline sonny

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »
shot a lot of deer with my 45 cal.They never flop over,you have to track them about 50yrd or so.50 cal i shot a few an they still go about 50yrds or so after lung hits....54 cal is what i use now an i only got two with it but they seem to lay down quicker with it.don't get me wrong,they still go 20 to thirty yrds then flop over......sonny

BrownBear

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:09 PM »
Yesterday I popped a smallish buck at 40 yards broadside through the lungs with a 50 cal, 80 grains of Goex 3f under a PRB.  It went right down, then hopped up and trotted about 20 feet before dropping for good.  Kinda startled me when it went down the first time, but even more when it got up again.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »
Sonny - a .60 to .75 usually makes them lay down right now, but the odd one, with even a 16 bore can surprise you.  Moose seem to be the easiest to drop right now, however, they-too can surprise you.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »
Most deer I've shot with .45 & .50 ran a few yards but never far at all.  Back when I used centerfires (about a dozen) from .22 Hornet up to 45/70 They normally ran farther than with prb hits; the .22 Hornet being the exception with 2/3 dropping DRT.  I've had them DRT with my .45 at about the same rate as with my .50s.  I've only killed one with my .54 and it went nowhere!

TNrifleman

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
The .54 is most always a good choice with a PRB. It has been my choice for many years and the .54 has never failed me.

Offline sonny

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 03:38:47 AM »
truthfully they all work......if the shot is thru the lungs they don't go far! heck i even shot a deer with my 58 hawken an when i wacked that deer i thought it would be out flat!!!!!.......naw he ran about 40 yards then quit!..I only shot one deer an it flopped over an that was 50 cal with a maxiball to the neck..........never moved..........sonny

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 07:02:13 AM »
I asked this qestion to a reputable builder who has extensive hunting with various caliber muzzleloaders and who I trust.  He usally hunts with them while they are "in the white' then finishes and sells them. Anyway, he said that .45 and up are best.  The .40 will take them down but he was always able to find the ball lodged against the hid on the exit side.  Last time I talked with him I was building a .54.  He told me that I will really like the overall performance of that caliber.  He added that I will even find myself squirrel hunting with it because if it's accuracy. 
He also said the .40 was the best overall small game rifle.  Accurate enough for head shot on squirrel and enough energy to take down a turkey with a decent shot.
Having said that I am building a .45 caliber for deer hunting....... ???
                                                                                 Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
wvmtnman, I think you're on to something concerning the .54.  Mine is a US M1841 in that caliber.  Though I've only killed one deer with it, it has been fired a lot at targets.  At 50 yards a 5 shot 1" group is a bad day for that fine rifle.  My dream rifle is an Early Lancaster flint in .54.  It may be a while but is at the top of my "wish list".