Author Topic: Fowler lugs and sights  (Read 712 times)

TookGun

Fowler lugs and sights
« on: November 28, 2022, 12:25:32 AM »
It may be on here somewhere , but I don't see it. How or what is the best way to get the underlings and sights on the thin walled Fowler barrel. I assume solder but what temp do you don't hurt the barrel. I do have a chromoly steel barrel from Rice and also a Hoyt screw on choke barrel.  Is propane hot enough or do you need acetylene. Low temperature or silver solder.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Fowler lugs and sights
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 01:10:31 AM »
These are low stress joints. Low temp silver-bearing solder using propane is fine.
Andover, Vermont

Offline sdilts

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 03:16:32 AM »
I just finished a fowler and used Solder-It paste solder on the sights and underlugs. A propane torch is all you need.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 03:54:19 AM »
Hi,
Soldered sights were for cheap trade guns. Low temp sliver bearing solder will work fine.  Better made guns had mortised front sights or spider sights.

dave

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:57:58 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

TookGun

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 04:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 06:09:03 AM »
Dave, That looks amazing. I assume you would also use your graver to line score then flat chisel out the body of the inlet cavity for the spider base. Are you upsetting the edges of the outline as well? Are you using sterling or fine silver? Are you riviting the post on to the base then soldering it down as a whole? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to use this on my next fowler project. I have a few old original fowler barrels and they all have this type of front sight. Very cool stuff. Thank you for sharing with us.
Dave Blaisdell