Author Topic: Twin flash holes ??  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Molly

Twin flash holes ??
« on: November 29, 2022, 06:14:58 AM »
Never saw one of these before ??  Good or bad??

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Re: Twin flash holes ??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 06:33:14 AM »
Molly, as my ole buddy Bill Osborn would say, “Ain't that a Magnolia” !

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 06:53:00 AM »
I think I saw that in Muzzle Blasts or Muzzleloader Magazine before.  :-\

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 06:56:04 AM »
Intended to increase the probability of ignition but it seem that if it were that much more beneficial the old guns would have employed it. This rifle also has an odd way the builder made the muzzle. The muzzle end is actually over sized and then there is a "step down" in the size. It's a 50 cal but the size at the end is more like 52 or 53. One could actually set the ball on the muzzle and it would set there.  🤔

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 03:44:51 PM »
I think this qualifies as a solution looking for a problem.

Are those triggers made of brass?
Bob

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 04:25:27 PM »
I saw an example of this on a Scottish all metal pistol.  I tried it myself on a 20 bore I built some years ago, and it worked superbly, although I can't say that it was any faster or reliable than my other guns .  I never did measure if there was any loss of velocity compared to a single vent, although the vent blast was increased. It seemed to me that the pan tended to remain cleaner .

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 04:28:12 PM »
Triggers sure appear to be brass in the photo but not sure they actually are.  I understand that this rifle was made by Allen Sandy. 

It has a number on the tang, "78", so it may have been made in 1978 or was rifle #78??
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:51:34 PM by Molly »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
Probably 20 years ago give or take, there was a brief little 'fad' with those twin vent holes.  I remember one year at Dixon's, I swear half the guns there on tables were done that way.  I'm probably exaggerating but it was a lot.  I never tried it and I don't think anyone ever noticed any kind of measurable improvement in ignition.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 05:56:15 PM »
Jim Chambers has an Allen Sandy gun out of the Roughton Collection with 2 touch holes.
2 touch hole setup was popular with some back in the early 90s. We called them “snake eyes”. Basically any trick to make that gun get a faster ignition.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 07:00:36 PM »
Triggers sure appear to be brass in the photo but not sure they actually are.  I understand that this rifle was made by Allen Sandy. 

It has a number on the tang, "78", so it may have been made in 1978 or was rifle #78??
  Molly, I have a fowling piece that Allan made for me about 20 years ago that has the double vent. It is # 128. Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 07:42:54 PM »
Should be similar effect to an oversized vent. No doubt it kept the pan more clear, Bob. Twice the vent blast.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 11:33:54 PM »
Goes along with the idea of a lock on both sides of the barrel. Twice as likely to fire.......?
Bob Roller

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 03:26:17 AM »
This rifle just sold at a local estate auction.  From all I could see it probably had been fired very little.  Has a few dings and one or two other features that might not make it appeal to some.  We passed it up and handed the opportunity to a fellow BP shooter who is new to the sport and member of our club.  I'll try to get a few photos by the end of the week.  Go figure...an Allen Sandy rifle as your first BP flintlock.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 05:39:47 AM »
Molly, Allan's work is amazing. My fowling piece is a 10 bore with a 48" barrel and a figured cherry stock. His carving, engraving and silver wire work are beyond excellent. I feel honored to have it. Imagine a 10 bore that weighs a tick under 8 lbs.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »
Molly, Allan's work is amazing. My fowling piece is a 10 bore with a 48" barrel and a figured cherry stock. His carving, engraving and silver wire work are beyond excellent. I feel honored to have it. Imagine a 10 bore that weighs a tick under 8 lbs.
How does it handle 2 oz of shot over 100 gr FFg or a .735 ball over 140 gr FFg "

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 08:13:12 AM »
Strictly used with shot. I generally use an ounce and a half of #5 shot over 3 drams of GOEX 2Fg. Not looking for a magnum. Gives a nice pattern. Recoil is barely noticeable. For smaller game I use my 24 gauge fusil.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 01:34:52 AM »
Mine patterns best with 2 oz of # 4's over 100 gr FFg  I use an oiled wool felt or blanket wad over the powder and a thin card wad over the shot. Perfect for ducks and geese.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 06:11:15 PM »
A number of years ago I saw Allen Sandy's 2 hole vent at the CLA show.  The link shows some of our comments and questions with Allen. And the ideas motivated Steve Chapman and I to time this type of vent.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/two-hole-vent-test/

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 08:58:20 PM »
Interesting, thanks Pletch.
Haven't seen you for a while.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 12:51:10 PM »
Possibly the triggers are gold plated??
I hear certain states banned double touch holes in flintlock rifles because, well, it sounds scary I guess