General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

flask done some time ago

<< < (2/5) > >>

smylee grouch:
Nice work indeed Richard. I too like the period scrimshaw work. How much powder do they hold?

Bob Gerard:
Splendid!!!!!

Tim Crosby:
 Very Well done, the carving pattern and location is well thought out and the work on the tips is Great.

Tim

Pukka Bundook:
Thank you for your kind words Gents!

Flatsguide /Richard,

Its exciting to me that you see these little figures as I see them!  They are most comical and full of life on the originals. they more or less live and breath.
Please forgive me one and all, if I submit a couple of photos of a matchlock I made ages ago now, but it is for Richard here, and of the funny little animals!

This matchlock was made about the same time as this little flask.

Smylee,
I cannot say now how much it holds, but about 700 grains I Think..a day flask.

TC,
Timewise I'd say early or first half of the 17th century.  Even earlier maybe!  I do have a couple more but don't know where the photos went!
Re iron cap;
Before the antler was hollowed out, the cap was clamped in place over -size, and the edges peened down over the end to form a flange. When snug and antler hollowed out, the cap was drilled and pinned in place.
If I remember right, the small caps on lower limbs were made of antler crowns, flat and flush fitting.
when antler was nicely hollowed out, short wooden plugs were glued in the holes, and flush fitting. these caps were then glued in place, a hole drilled through them, and the iron tacks you see driven through the cap into the wood plug.  I hope this makes sense!
I must also say I have no idea how originals were made! This is just how I did it.

Thank you again one and all.
Richard /Pukka.
Edited to add a thick washer was soldered inside the top cap, and cap/washer threaded for the antler spout.

TC,
Gun lock  for you to get idea of time-frame.  Homemade lock.

James Rogers:
Marvelous animal work! Captures the period style. 
Here are a couple of ways the stag flasks were constructed...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version