General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Prevention

<< < (5/5)

Dphariss:

--- Quote from: walt53 on December 02, 2022, 09:22:10 PM ---I am curious as to what you gents who build long guns put in the barrel channel and lock motice to keep out moisture/ water snow ,rain.As to protect the wood and metal.thanks walt

--- End quote ---

I seal the stock  inside and out with a Linseed Oil based varnish. The barrels bottom 5 flats can be waxed with floor wax if its going to be left in the stock for a long period. Never coat these with oil or grease or excessively lubricate the lock.  Its really bad for the stock. And you cannot completely keep it out. If the rifle gets wet its wet. But I carry the rifle in a full length cover. Pure wool or leather. Though leather is a little “sticky” compared to wool in removing the rifle quickly. But with the leather is possible to lay the rifle down in the snow when hunting without fear. Some places I hunt there is nothing to lean the rifle against to field dress a critter.

Longknife:
When I build a gun I apply two liberal coats of Thompsons Water Seal to all the wood, Inside the barrel channel, patch box and rr hole.  Let it dry between coats. I then mix TWS with my finish 50/50 and apply two more coats. Then apply finish as required and inside barrel channel, etc....It is then water proof!!!!  ...LK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version