General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Prevention

<< < (2/5) > >>

flinchrocket:
If you’ve noticed a lot of older guns are usually cracked under the buttplate. I think that’s a good reason to seal it good underneath.

Top Jaw:
Agree with sealing under buttplate.   And also in patchbox cavity (and lid) if you have a sliding wooden box and lid, or a metal patch box lid that extends to the butt.  Same principle for moisture when loading in these cases. 

Bill in Md:
During the hunting season you can avoid moisture simply by running a minute bead of beeswax along each side of the barrel flats where they touch the forestock....Same with around the lock and you can use it to seal a butt plate.........Beeswax is God's caulk if you ask me..... :)

RVAH-7:
speaking of moisture prevention, just my two cents worth; because I hunt with my rifle in sometimes ugly weather,  when I'm done cleaning my rifle, after wiping things down with that lightly oiled patch or rag, I push that patch through the thimbles or oil on a q-tip swab. Then wipe down the ramrod or a light coat of beeswax. And THEN while hunting I check from time to time to be sure the ramrod hasn't taken on too much moisture to swell tight in the thimbles.

axelp:
good advice. I have had my ramrod swell and stick in the thimbles during a wet hunt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version