Author Topic: Double sided Patch Box  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Deepcreektexasshane

• Starting Member
Double sided Patch Box
« on: November 05, 2022, 01:52:13 AM »
Hi Y’all, I’m new here and have been doing a lot of reading and have a question. What region and time period used the large double sided patch boxes? I see them listed as southern or Virginian on a few websites. Thanks

Offline B.Barker

Re: Double sided Patch Box
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 04:46:05 AM »
Heshel House made them famous in the modern times. The only original I know of is from North Carolina I believe.

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 07:36:49 AM »
Thank you! Sounds about right

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 05:04:03 PM »
The North Carolina example is also brass mounted. I would not rule it out for other parts of the broader region.

Cory Joe Stewart

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 09:53:54 PM »
We’ll, I bought my First flintlock off GB, I liked everything about it except the double brass patchbox. For me the price and style were good enough. Should be at my house Monday and I’ll post some pictures.

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 10:09:34 PM »
There is also a Baxter Bean TN rifle with a banana patchbox with forward and rear lids. See page 5-6 of Randal Pierce's book "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains".
Bob

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 03:49:04 PM »
I finally have the engraving done on this project. The patch box, toe plate and cheek piece inlay were engraved off of the rifle. The forearm wear plate was engraved on the rifle. I have started the carving process and it is coming along great. Me and my brother are headed to southern Indiana for a week of Muzzle loading hunting. I hope to finish this project before Christmas.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"