Author Topic: 54 caliber smooth rifle "schimmel"  (Read 949 times)

Offline ettoreR

54 caliber smooth rifle "schimmel"
« on: December 03, 2022, 02:43:11 AM »
Finally bit the bullet and decided to build some simple utilitarian guns. I like rupp's work and went off of that for this gun. Is a 44 inch smooth swamped 54 caliber barrel by rice,  lower grade curly maple, it'll have no buttplate, and very minimal hardware. Still alot of shaping to do here

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 06:21:08 AM by ettoreR »

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: 54 caliber smooth rifle "schimmel"
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 03:48:13 AM »
Looking just like it should to my eye nice work!!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline silky

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 03:54:48 AM »
That's looking very nice!  I have almost the exact same project (.54 smooth, plain maple, no butt plate, etc) just about in the finishing stages now. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Simple, working man's flintlocks are the best.

- Tom

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 05:05:15 PM »
That's quite schimmely! Looks great, maybe the only furniture is a single ramrod pipe. Just "lock stock and barrel" and a coat of barn red milk paint.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline ettoreR

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 10:21:29 PM »
That's quite schimmely! Looks great, maybe the only furniture is a single ramrod pipe. Just "lock stock and barrel" and a coat of barn red milk paint.

I'm think two ram rod pipes, lock. Barrel, trigger guard. I'm playing with a scraped finish right now, we will see how it is! Paint may be in the future