Author Topic: Girandoni air rifle  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Clowdis

Girandoni air rifle
« on: December 03, 2022, 04:01:13 PM »
Somewhere I remember seeing plans for this rifle but I can't remember where I saw them. I have the illustrations found in Google but that's about it. Does anyone know where there is a link to the plans for building this air rifle?

Offline Goo

Re: Girandoni air rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 04:17:49 PM »
Ernie cowan wrote a book documenting his work recreating this gun they are difficult to find.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Online 120RIR

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 04:32:37 PM »
I have several of Ernie's flintlocks but not one of his air rifles.  I didn't realize he put together a book or manuscript but if any copies are available, you might want to try his old business partner, Rick Keller, at Great War Militaria in Chambersburg, Penn.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 11:19:25 PM »
Dave Rase found a manule on building one as discribed by Ernie cowan and got it out of Scotland it cost him like $130.00 by the time he paid the fee's they levey. That was a couple of years ago. Good luck on finding one.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 01:54:11 AM »
IIRC, Lewis and Clark's air rifle was .30 cal. Someone made a replica of the Girandoni rifle in the States some time ago IIRC, seems to me and in .44 or .45 cal.?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 03:16:28 AM »
Haven't had much luck in my searches so I think I'll try to get hold of Rick Keller and see if he has anything. Really appreciate the help guys!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 03:43:16 AM »
  If you look up gun builder Dennis Priddy(sp) or Preddy he use to build them. He was featured in either Muzzle Blasts or Muzzle Loader magazine a while back. He built an exact copy IIRC.
  He's a Michigan builder and he's a wealth of knowledge on them.
  Hope this helps.

Offline helwood

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 10:23:33 PM »
Greetings, 
My name is Hank Elwood  and I've  added a pic of the two books talked about but if you are serious about making one only the Second Addition  is close enough to help and I would encourage you to double check all measurements.  In addition make sure of which Girardoni  part you are looking at first.  If I remember correctly they photographed x3 guns in the book.  And they are not all the same.   I built x2 Girardonis  and x3 Lukens Air Rifles.   I haven't put anything on the Forum because I thought it was Verboten.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 03:11:19 AM »
Thank you Hank! I was able to download a free copy of vol. 2 which seems to be mostly canes but does contain a bunch of drawings of mechanisms used in air rifles/canes. Guess I'll have to fork out the coins for vol. 1. Either way, I appreciate this information, good stuff!

Offline Longknife

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »
IIRC, Lewis and Clark's air rifle was .30 cal. Someone made a replica of the Girandoni rifle in the States some time ago IIRC, seems to me and in .44 or .45 cal.?

Capt.  Lewis had a muzzle loading rifle that he called his "Small rifle" that carried 100 balls to the pound (36 cal) as described in the Journals. The Giannoni air rifle carried a ball that was .46 cal. as measured when the rifle was examined by Earnie and Rick.
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 09:26:02 PM »
There ya go.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V