Author Topic: What does mustard do to a barrel  (Read 1908 times)

Offline PAhunter

• Starting Member
What does mustard do to a barrel
« on: December 03, 2022, 04:51:18 PM »
 I was wondering the best way to age a barrel and what does mustard do to the barrel in terms of color and aging? I want a grey color.

Offline 45-110

Re: What does mustard do to a barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 05:33:25 PM »
I am interested also on the finish outcome. Got a new build I might try it on. Seem to remember its a mix of mustard and vinegar?
kw

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 05:50:49 PM »
The vinegar will patin/darken the steel, the reason, it has been explained to me, to use mustard is because it is thick enough to keep on the surfaces. Vinegar alone drips off and dries.

I have used vinegar to blacken knife blades I have made and a lot of people use mustard etc. to force patina on carbon steel knives.

We would like pictures of what you get when you try this!

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »

Here is a barrel I am working on. This is cold blue on a draw file finish that I rubbed buffed to a gray with steel wool.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »
I'd try it but I can't find a roll long enough and I'd probably need a whole jar of relish.

:o
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 09:31:34 PM »
I'd try it but I can't find a roll long enough and I'd probably need a whole jar of relish.

:o

You said it much better than I could have. ;D
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 09:32:58 PM »
  Their are several videos on U Tube showing the process. Everything from a Damascus effect to a dull grey effect...Hope this helps....

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:35 PM »
First off I don’t “antique” guns. I use them. Or in the rare event I make one for a friend, they leave the shop as new. LIKE THEY WOULD HAVE BACK IN THE DAY. You would be AMAZED at how long you can use a rifle and not have it look “antiqued”. Since “antiqued” is probably how the rifle looked after the original owners great, great grand children got done playing cowboys and indians with it.
Now if you want the iron/steel to REALLY look 200 years old with 80 years use and maybe 120 years of neglect then suit up properly. Get some technical grade nitric acid and paint that on the steel then immediately rinse. This will etch it almost instantly. BTW use an organic vapor mask with NEW FILTERS with charcoal. DO NOT breath the “smoke” that comes off the steel. Or you could just USE THE THING so it looked like someone USED IT rather than let it lay out under a lawn sprinkler for a month or more.
I built a rifle for a friend in 1968-69. Poor Boy. No buttplate, walnut stock stained very dark. My name cut in the barrel. Douglas barrel, R. Hamm P. Gonter lock. Allowed to rust externally by someone and then at the time or  sometime later sold to some uninformed guy as an original found in a cabin in Eastern Kentucky.

OK I deleted the rest of this post before I REALLY PO someone.
Yeah its a pet peeve.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 04:01:38 PM »
I was wondering the best way to age a barrel and what does mustard do to the barrel in terms of color and aging? I want a grey color.
To get a grey finish I have used Oxphos, availanle at most paint stores.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 45-110

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
Really no reason to condemn the mustard concept, if it works the process could be used on knives, tomahawks and other shop steel projects that could benefit from a unique finish. I see this as a alternative finish for something different, why bash it? Some well known builders use bleach and some cringe at that. As a open forum this is the place to explore new ideas. I leaned on this site about Oven Easy Off for cherry stocks and some cringed at that idea, but it works exceptionally well.
kw

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 04:48:45 PM »
First off I don’t “antique” guns. I use them. Or in the rare event I make one for a friend, they leave the shop as new. LIKE THEY WOULD HAVE BACK IN THE DAY. You would be AMAZED at how long you can use a rifle and not have it look “antiqued”. Since “antiqued” is probably how the rifle looked after the original owners great, great grand children got done playing cowboys and indians with it.
Now if you want the iron/steel to REALLY look 200 years old with 80 years use and maybe 120 years of neglect then suit up properly. Get some technical grade nitric acid and paint that on the steel then immediately rinse. This will etch it almost instantly. BTW use an organic vapor mask with NEW FILTERS with charcoal. DO NOT breath the “smoke” that comes off the steel. Or you could just USE THE THING so it looked like someone USED IT rather than let it lay out under a lawn sprinkler for a month or more.
I built a rifle for a friend in 1968-69. Poor Boy. No buttplate, walnut stock stained very dark. My name cut in the barrel. Douglas barrel, R. Hamm P. Gonter lock. Allowed to rust externally by someone and then at the time or  sometime later sold to some uninformed guy as an original found in a cabin in Eastern Kentucky.

Yeah its a pet peeve.
Couldn't agree more. Never understood the reasoning behind fake aging.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »
  Don't know why people get all worked up over a question. Several big name gun builder's age the finish on their guns. So why bash this ?
 It's their gun .

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 06:00:49 PM »

Yeah its a pet peeve.
As an open forum to share techniques , tips , tools , knowledge , etc.   It DOES get redundant to hear the "ever present" chiming in , of
"fake antiquing haters" !!!    We GET it ! Some of you DO NOT LIKE ARTIFICIALLY AGED GUNS!!!!  Now that , THAT is out of the way , let those that ARE interested , swap information and ideas!!       It is a VERY simple concept , just because you don`t like something , does NOT mean that others don`t as well!      Do you tell your neighbor that the color he painted his house sucks? or the color of their car, hair length , shoe style , etc.  , the list goes on!    Get over yourselves ! NO ONE besides you CARES about your opinion!        There seems to be a common theme among a few that it is pure sacrilege to "age" anything! Then , the same folks are the first to tell people to find a "skilled restorer" to restore an antique rifle!  YEAH!  a "skilled restorer " has NEVER applied "FAKE AGING" to a part!!!  GET OVER YOURSELVES and let people do what they want!      By the way, the contemporary made long rifles that fetch the highest prices are mostly built by makers that age their work!

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 07:09:30 PM »

"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline PAhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 09:01:37 PM »
And this is why I no longer comment in forums. I only wanted to know for my knowledge and I got bashed. I’m backing out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 09:26:46 PM »
I think its time to move on.

No need to get in a public argument over differences of opinion. We all have our likes and dislikes, if we all liked the same thing it would be a dull world!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 10:46:18 PM »
To the original question.  Steel might react more uniformly.  I tried mustard on a brass buttplate, and although i got a good color change, the overall appearance was very blotchy.  FWIW.  I would experiment first.