General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Colerain gain twist accuracy results??

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jeff Murray:
My 58 caliber Hawken has a Hoyt gain twist barrel ( 1 in 80 at the breech - 1 in 48 at the muzzle) which shoots very accurately with loads ranging from 90 to 130 grains of 2F.  The 130 grain load knocked a buffalo over, hooves up.  Don't know if the faster muzzle twist rate had anything to do with that result but it impressed me.

Daryl:
Frame of mind and condition when hit makes a HUGE difference to the immediate/impact reaction/results.
Many animals, like black bears will drop at the shot, then take off on a run. The larger the bore, the more
impact. I found that out on moose comparing impact results from my .69, compared to my buddy's .75. Mine
stagger, drop their butt on to the ground, then stagger to standing and walk a short distance.  When Keith
smacked one with his .75, they dropped and stay down, no matter from which direction they were hit. Amazing.

Jeff Murray:
I think range has a big impact as well.  I guess if you use a big enough rock you can knock anything over.  Discovered that as a kid with a slingshot.

Dphariss:
If the barrel is properly made a gain will shoot was well as anything else. I have a barrel by Jim McLemore that has a gain but he would not tell me how much, it shoots extremely well. And is capable of winning any RB bench match anywhere, it weighs just under 18 pounds so its not an offhand rifle.  Gain twists are being made in the modern world as well and win matches.
Killing power. Some critters will fall over when shot but few do in my experience. Which covers a WIDE range of RB, BPC and modern calibers. Shot placement is the killer. Velocity makes a flatter trajectory. But I have killed critters with a RB at 1000 fps or less so its primary function is flatter trajectories and often  better accuracy.
And species can be harder to “stop” than others. When using (IIRC) a 20 bore Manton rifle Sir William Drummond Stewart stated that it was easier the knock down and elk with it that a Mule Deer. He also stated that it killed more game with less powder and lead than any rifle at the Rendezvous. I DO know that a deer that is nervous/alarmed is harder to stop than one that is relaxed. The only SURE way to drop something in its tracks is to use a HV high expansion rate bullet (massive meat loss) or heavily shock or hit the brain or spinal cord. With tha spread of CWD this is not a good option for me anymore. But then years ago one of the ML gun writers shot a bull Bison side to side through the BRAIN and it GOT BACK UP.  This was in the 1970s sometime. Not going to dig for the article. Might have been Sam Fadala. But its been sometime so….

Jeff Murray:
My experience is similar.  Although the ones that went down and stayed down were shot at close range - 10 - 20 yards.  Those shot at longer ranges,  50 to 60+ yards, usually just humped, went 30 to 50 yards and tipped over.  Wild boar tend to be tough but one shot at about 15 feet just shuddered and collapsed.   Agree that shot placement is probably the most critical element.  Hard to be over-gunned for large game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version