Author Topic: Is modern lead shot ok in modern smoothbore barrels?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Dwshotwell

Is modern lead shot ok in modern smoothbore barrels?
« on: December 12, 2022, 11:59:47 PM »
I have a feeling this might be a silly question but I've learned to not assume on such matters... is modern lead shot ok to shoot in a modern smooth bore barrel? I tried searching it and couldn't find anything definitive. I feel it must be ok but just don't want to do any damage. I just finished a fowler and hope to test it with ball and shot for fun next week. While I'm at it, I've seen different info on how to load a smoothbore and some of it is a bit confusing. Looks like I need to get cards to go between the shot and powder as well as a card over the shot to hold it in place, but if anyone cares to give me the nuances I'm all ears, along with whether you should still patch a round ball in a smooth barrel?
David Shotwell

Offline Dwshotwell

Re: Is modern lead shot ok in modern smoothbore barrels?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 12:01:23 AM »
And then as I was posting I see Muskrat Mike posted similar questions below, so I can read responses there to my general questions... no need to repeat yourselves!
David Shotwell

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 08:45:07 AM »
Couldn't see the other thread re. shot, but yes, modern lead shot is fine in any barrels old or new.

Best,
Richard.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 04:51:10 PM »
The normal over powder wad is thicker than the overshot card. I use a 1/8" over powder wad and a wad I stamped out of a cereal box for an over shot card.

I have experimented around and used three of the cereal box cards stacked up for an over powder wad.

There are lots of load combinations you can try, I have tried to duplicate the wad column of an old shot gun shell with the powder, over powder wad, a 1/2" fiber wad, the shot and an over shot card.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 08:43:18 PM »
In a 20 bore, a #11 Osborne punch works for me to make cards. I use heavy poster stock from the Dollar Store or Walmart.
Two over the powder, one over the shot.
Harbor Freight carries the cheap Osborne sets, and includes a #11.
I do use patched round balls in smooth bores. They don't need to be as tight as you load a rifle.

Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 10:04:59 PM »
trackofthewolf has all sorts of wads, thin "B", thicker over-powder hard card 1/8" wads & 1/2" donnaconna cushion wads.
A bag of thin B wads will work well for shot loads, 2 or 3 between powder and shot and one over the shot. This works in
the smoothbores I've tried it in, 2 of non-choked variety and one choked gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 01:10:31 AM »
Thanks folks. This has been helpful.
David Shotwell

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »
"Modern" lead shot is fine. Some of the lead alternatives might require something between them and the barrel steel.
Except for when loading the Skychief Load, I never use nitro-cards or thick fiber "cushion" wads between powder and shot. I know one very successful muzzloading hunter, who takes many pheasant, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, crows, wood pigeon, and more,,,, with various size bore smoothies,,,, and he only uses thin cards. A stack between powder and shot and another one or two over the shot. Every few reloads he puts a dollop of lube between cards in the below shot stack.
I've seen guys successfuly use leather wads as well.
I use powder, thin card (sometimes replaced with grocery bag paper 1"×2" folded to 1"×1"), then some type of soft lubed wad such as felt or tow/faux-tow, shot (either loose in a Skychief Load or in one of my paper pre-made shot cup/cartridges), then a thin card to hold it in.
It all is more complicated to write and to read than it is to do.

No tow? Cut 4" sections of hemp or sisal rope (4" is good for a 20 gauge) and section it into the basic strings that make up the rose's thickness, two of these work well for me, shred those into loose fibers (lengthwise) roll into a ball (like making meatballs) adding lube as you do so. End result should be a ball of fiber that is about bore diameter. I pull it slightly apart, like making a little nest, at time of use.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 04:18:00 AM »
VERY helpful Brokennock. Thank you. This seems to be one of those situations where everyone has their own way of doing it and I’m just going to have to give it a try. You gave me a great place to start.
David Shotwell

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 06:16:24 AM »
VERY helpful Brokennock. Thank you. This seems to be one of those situations where everyone has their own way of doing it and I’m just going to have to give it a try. You gave me a great place to start.
You're welcome. Not all my original ideas. I've picked up many things from old writings and from others on this forum and two others.
A lot of good info here,
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/
Go there and be sure to check out the link to, "ML Shotgun by VM Star," and the one to, "Sage advice from Mr. Aimwell."
This gentleman has a treasure trove of period advertising, news articles, periodicals, and other period writings and info on muzzleloaders and shooting from back when these guns were up to date technology. Unfortunately he doesn't really participate on forums much anymore.