Author Topic: Another Bill Large Barrel Stamp  (Read 2396 times)

Offline BigSkyRambler

Another Bill Large Barrel Stamp
« on: December 14, 2022, 05:11:24 AM »
This plains rifle will be coming to me in a few weeks.  Thought it was interesting in that it has a Bill Large barrel with double JJJJ L stamp.  The lock plate is also a repurposed 1848 Whitney. Kind of like what a frontier gunsmith might fit on a rifle needing a new lock.  I know there are a variety of stamps on Bill Large barrels, but I have only seen a couple, including this one. Is there an evolution of style? Any significance?

Offline snapper

Re: Another Bill Large Barrel Stamp
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 03:48:47 PM »
I had that rifle on my watch list and had actually asked Bob Roller about that marking for Bill Large.   

Good luck on getting it in a few weeks.  I am still waiting for a rifle from the same auction house, and I paid for it 4 weeks ago.  It has not shipped yet.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 05:42:48 PM »
Bill had four daughters and their names all began with a "J".
Ed Hamberg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 08:34:30 PM »
I have this one, with a backward letter, the barrel is a .44 cal

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 02:43:56 AM »

Oops!  Got that G upside down.  Looks like a 9.

Offline MartyB

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 03:20:16 PM »
I had that rifle on my watch list and had actually asked Bob Roller about that marking for Bill Large.   

Good luck on getting it in a few weeks.  I am still waiting for a rifle from the same auction house, and I paid for it 4 weeks ago.  It has not shipped yet.

Fleener

Which auction place is that?

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 05:14:32 PM »
I dont want to get this thread off the track so I will reply to Marty but please no discussion on my issue as part of this thread.

I bought a Rigby long range ML at Morphy's auction in November.   I paid for it with a CC within minutes of getting my invoice.  They state that they ship in order of payment and that it is 7 to 14 business days to ship.  I was past my 14 days and called them as I am going to be gone for a while.   I was told that it was in the shipping department and that I would be getting notice of shipping in a day or two at most.   A week and a half went by, I called again, got the same response.   Several more days went by, and they called me to let me know that the muzzle guide on the rifle was lost and they can't find it.  They did offer me a very reasonably discount on the rifle, or I could get a complete refund.  I took the reasonable discount.   I asked about expedited shipping and was told that was not possible.   They were going to ship it the next day.   I got thinking about it and if they were going to require a signature for delivery that would not work for me.  Called them back and that was the case which you would think if I told you I was going to be gone that you might of said something about need a signature.   So, they are holding it for me for a little while longer.

I realize things happen and not wanting to tell the customer you lost something and doing your best to find it.  If they would of been honest with me at the beginning and simply tell me the truth while they held up my rifle that would of been better.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »

Oops!  Got that G upside down.  Looks like a 9.

These boo boos are easily done with these individual stamps and as we fossilize our eyes are part of the process,
Bill and I used identical sets of Young's stamps.The inline L's and J's are something I have never seen and think
the barrels are probably bogus.After Bill died in 1985 there were obvious attempts at fraud using draw filed Douglas and Green Mountain barrels.One of his grandsons tried to keep the barrel shop going but that didn't work and the shop was closed and locked for about 20 years until the daughter that controlled it was convinced it would go to rust and ruin.Jim McLemore got all of it except the cobwebs.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 04:01:01 PM »
One thing that I forgot was that the grandson,Jim Bill McKenzie made a few barrels after Bill died.
He did know how but the interest just wasn't there.there was an ad in Muzzle Blasts telling about
him taking over the barrel shop.There was one son in law that was a good engraver and made a
few nice long rifles but a divorce stopped any more from him.

Bob Roller

Offline barracudadave67

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 10:11:56 PM »
I have two rifles with Large BBLs. They are 2 of my Civil War Skirmish Guns, that I made. One is an 1862 Fayetteville rifle, with a 33 in BBL, 7 lands, and grooves, with a .575 bore, 1in 48 twist. The other is a Richmond Carbine, same BBL, only 25inch.
They Both shoot better than me.
A fellow skirmisher from the Detroit area use to get BBL blancks from Large, and make Civil War Gun  BBLs out of them. His name was Jerry Harmon. He made great BBLs with the Large blancks.

Dave

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 01:46:33 AM »
Seems to me, I measured my .58 x 1 1/8" 35" straight octagonal Large barrel from the 70's as having a 1 in 60" r.o.t.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 10:29:05 PM »
Seems to me, I measured my .58 x 1 1/8" 35" straight octagonal Large barrel from the 70's as having a 1 in 60" r.o.t.
Daryl,
I THINK that was a 1 in 56 twist but that's close enough to do the job.On a more personal note,I did have an interest in the 3rd daughter Jeanette but nothing developed and I did get the one I was supposed to have but 7 years later and we are coming up on 54 years. :D.
Bob Roller

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 05:27:00 PM »
I have had the rifle in my safe for a few weeks.  It is a heavy bugger - about 11 lbs.  The barrel is 33.5"x1.14". Everything about this rifle I love, other than it is simply going to be too heavy for my needs.  Adding a photo of lock internals.  Unmarked.  No other builder names or marks on gun, just the double JJJJ over L stamp. I will take triggers out to see if maker name on them.